Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Revelation 2" eyepieces

I am about to up-grade to 2" and while doing my research on a grey Sunday afternoon came across these Revelation 2" eyepieces for a mere £40. I heard somewhere that revelation and meade eyepieces are made in the same factory, the only difference is the price, is that true? has anybody used these? I was going to buy the 26mm for my short tube refractor but would like your opinion first, they do seem very cheap!

Although "same factory" sometimes means "same optics" - it doesn't allways mean the same between different brands. So you need to be very careful with that assumption. Some companies will buy to different specification and standards then others.

I don't know which scope you are intending to use a 2" eyepiece in but the reason is for the wider fields offered by 2" beyond the limit of 1.25" eyepiece fields. This is so you can fit larger objects like double clusters and galaxies all in the same fov.

I notice you only have 38 posts - so if you are new to the hobby I'd suggest you have to know your scope and do the eyepiece maths to know what fov it's going to give you. Theres a good thread on "Understanding and choosing eyepieces" in the tutorials section :)

http://stargazerslounge.com/primers-tutorials/63184-primer-understanding-choosing-eyepieces.html

Its a Celestron 102 short tube with a fl of 6.5. All the reviews and e-books like the Patrick Moore series on Refractors advises that I should up grade to 2 inch and that since I am using a rich field that 26mm-32mm is what is required, is that good advise/ I don't know anymore, a very confusing hobby indeed!

Here is a review of the Meade 2" 26mm QX:

Astromart Reviews - Meade 26mm QX Wide Angle Eyepiece

As the reviewer suggests, you may find a good 32mm plossl by GSO would be more satisfactory in your scope.

The advice in the book is good but what they don't tell you is that 2" wide field eyepieces that perform well in faster scopes don't come in the bargain part of the market. If you had an F/10 or slower scope things would be a little different.

Here is a review of the Meade 2" 26mm QX:

Astromart Reviews - Meade 26mm QX Wide Angle Eyepiece

As the reviewer suggests, you may find a good 32mm plossl by GSO would be more satisfactory in your scope.

The advice in the book is good but what they don't tell you is that 2" wide field eyepieces that perform well in faster scopes don't come in the bargain part of the market. If you had an F/10 or slower scope things would be a little different.

I might jut look at the 32mm now, BTW

Are the Revelation and the GSO not the same thing?

GSO Revelation 2" eyepieces

Archived