have I collimated right

hi all, I tried my new 200p out for the first time last night by looking at Jupiter I noticed the image was quite fuzzy no matter how fair in or out I focused, so I followed the step by step guide by astro baby wrote by using a cap with a hole, now when I look through the scope the detail is alot clearer but I'm seeing a slight rainbow effect around the edges of Jupiter and seeing what looks like a cross of light running through as well have I not collimated it correctly? and is it worth me buying the proper tools for the job? or is there something else causing this effect?

Any help would be much appreciated

You are probably nearly there (It's hard to tell without either looking or having a photo!). I suspect you may well have been troubled by fog or mist last night? If so you will get some funny effects - best wait for a crisp clear night to finish the collimation on a bright star - de-focus the image a little and see if the "disc" is round - if not then slightly adjust the collimation until it is. This is a very sensitive test and you will be surprised at the image you get if it is done well!

Hiya, I bought a laser collimating tool for thirty quid online... I also watched a few YouTube clips to find out how to use it and also how to clean my primary mirror.

I have a Skywatcher 114p and I'm going to upgrade after Christmas so I thought I would learn how to do these things with the scope I have just in case it went pear shaped...

I have to say the results has been amazing my seeing is so sharp and although not as dramatic as the results through a bigger scope I am really pleased with the outcome.

I believe you can tell when you have right collimation when you focus in and out of your target... :) for instance on a star you see a ring when out of focus... can't wait to get out there again and have another go - but the fog won't go!!!! :)

I had clear sky's untill 9 last night then the fog rolled on in :-(

The scope was defiantly out when I first used it and the first attempt at collimating has worked hopefully tonight the sky's will clear and I can do a star test,

with regards to cleaning the primary and seconday mirror will a cloth for the glasses work or is there a special cloth for cleaning it?

I had clear sky's untill 9 last night then the fog rolled on in :-(

The scope was defiantly out when I first used it and the first attempt at collimating has worked hopefully tonight the sky's will clear and I can do a star test,

with regards to cleaning the primary and seconday mirror will a cloth for the glasses work or is there a special cloth for cleaning it?

Whoah! no cloths... I watched a YouTube clip where the person removed the mirror soaked it, washed it, rinsed it with distilled water then let it drain... but at NO time did he touch the mirror. I did the same... not sure if you are allowed to put links on here to youtube but search on there for ~ cleaning your mirror!... DON'T do this until you are confident you know what you are doing!

I left the scope in the garden for 30mins before I viewed also it was cooled when I collimated, jupiter was quite low in the sky before the fog rolled in, I'm hoping that I get a clear sky tonight to check the star technique,

Note taken about cleaning the mirrors il have a good look at the tutorial vids on YouTube thanks for the advise guys

yep, the time has come to try to figure out collimation, will ask santa for a laser collimator for christmas! :)

one on ebay for £29.99, or a cheshire one for £16...and looking at the tutorials on youtube hopefully I will be able to figure it out.

hi all, I tried my new 200p out for the first time last night by looking at Jupiter I noticed the image was quite fuzzy no matter how fair in or out I focused, so I followed the step by step guide by astro baby wrote by using a cap with a hole, now when I look through the scope the detail is alot clearer but I'm seeing a slight rainbow effect around the edges of Jupiter and seeing what looks like a cross of light running through as well have I not collimated it correctly? and is it worth me buying the proper tools for the job? or is there something else causing this effect?

Any help would be much appreciated

200p - I find proper cooling goes a long way.

Evening All.

I followed AstroBaby's instructions to collminate me Tal. Made a big diff.

All I did was find exact center of the focuser cap and made up a white card to place between the primary and secondary, one mod I did was to draw 6 lines across the dia of the card, found it helped to get the secondary in the center of my focuser.

Andy..

^^ good plan all I did when I followed the instructions is I just put a sheet of paper down it so to just block out the primary mirror to align the secondary to the eye piece I found it hard to align the primary perfect without having the lines running through,

In all fairness I think I'm going to get a Cheshire as there cheap and do the job, and saves faffing around to much

Archived