Thoughts on this scope for a newbie ...

So ... there I was, all ready to purchase a Celstron 8" SCT as my first scope (either CPC or SGT) ... and then I come across a hard to beat FLO £1,595 offer for a Celestron C11-SGT XLT Goto scope. I have aperture fever before I even start this hobby :)

So ... I know the limitations of long focal length SCTs for imaging, and that the scope is at the limits of the CG5 mount (which is noisy and may even lock up in cold weather due to the grease used), even for visual observing.

I've looked at the weights - the OTA at 12.5kg, the mount is 19kg all in but obviously splits into smaller weights I figure I can cope with all that, but I will double check by visiting a retailer first. If the scope is fastar compatible, which I think it is, it could be used for imaging if I upgrade the mount in the future, so I'm thinking this could be a very good deal on a pretty future proof scope that could last me a lifetime.

My question is, though, is this scope too much to handle for a newbie? Excluding size and weight considerations which I think I'm just about happy with, are there any issues that I should be aware of? Is it going to be harder to find objects because of the magnification, or not see them properly because the field of view is too small? Can I just put a wide angle lens on to sort that, or am I still limited by inherent magnification of the ota?

Your comments and advice appreciated. Many thanks.

Yeah... It's quite a long focal length... It may well be harder to find stuff with a focal length that long. Then again, it has GoTo. Is GoTo important to you? The larger open clusters look nicer in smaller scopes that can fit the object into the field. You'll be missing out on those with a 2.8 m focal length: even by 2m a lot of the larger stuff looks less nice. What with the bigger secondary obstruction, that thing basically has the light-grasp of a 10" Newtonian...

It all depends what your goals are. Bigger isn't always better. There's a lot to be said for a more simple design. You may well be able to handle the weight, etc, but the key question is whether you'll still want to bother with it after 6 months. It depends how you take to the hobby. Don't forget that SCTs require a long cool-down period so it won't be the sort of scope you can set up for a quick peek. I think every observer needs a quick-peek scope in their arsenal as it maximises observing possibilities. If you're starting out then it makes a huge amount of sense to have your first scope be that quick-peek instrument. It's better to spend under-budget on the first scope, get something a little smaller, and add something larger later. Both scopes will have their uses and you'll make a better buying decision on the large one once you have experience.

I'd suggest a 6" or 8" Dob and think again in a year. There's a crapload to see with those apertures. Finally, don't forget that dark skies are far more important than aperture. If you a 6" somewhere dark you will see WAY more than an 11" in suburbia.

Fantastic, all great information for me to think about.

Cooling doesn't bother me as the scope will likely be keep in a cool garage. Incidentally, I also came across this cooling device which looks really good http://starizona.com/acb/Cool-Edge---SCT-Cooler---11-P3282C109.aspx Obviously more wires, things to think about, etc... but kind of neat, I thought!

Anyway, as I said, all good advice for me to mull over. Goto is important to me and although I live in the countryside, I'm close enough to Luton and some other towns that light pollution will be an issue. Mabe I should revert to my original 8" SCT option. Decisions decisions!

The C11 is undermounted on the CG5GT Goto imho. I wouldn't put it on anything less than an NEQ6 or a CGEM. Although the package seems very attractive I'd sell the mount in brand new condition and put the proceeds towards the beefier mount. Just my tuppence worth :)

dont do it, i tried a tal 200k on an eq5 and it was horrible, just to much weight for the mount (12.4kg)

I would go for a 200mm dob, to get started, then in time you would get great resale value on the dob to upgrade

I agree with Umadogs great advice on not spending big bucks on your first scope.

When starting out you have no idea what aspect of the hobby is going to float your boat.

So it is unwise to spend a great deal of money until you do.

Most scope types will do all things, but often certain types do one thing better than others.

If after a year you find you have the wrong type for the kind of astronomy your interest lies, if you bought a cheap scope you will lose very little, but with the expensive models you may find yourself well out of pocket.

Personally I would go for a smaller ( considerably ) cheaper model first time out.

Regards Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived