Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sony A200 camera

craigguk

hi i would like to ask what can i expect from a sony A200 as i am getting 1 for christmas for general use. But also want to do some astrophotography if its possible with it. its mainly for DSO im wanting to use it for so i was wandering if you could tell me if it this camera will allow it and if so some examples of what DSO's i could test on. thanks in advance

Hi Craig. Do you have a telescope? - if not then I presume you're wanting to astro image just using the camera. It is possible to do some astro work but without a driven mount you'll be restricted on exposure times to probably about 20 seconds - this will severely restrict DSO work. Most DSO targets are quite faint and require longer exposure times. You could however try M42 (The Orion Nebula) - a pretty bright DSO and you should get something with 20s exposures.

I would suggest that with just the camera, you could try wide angle work - perhaps try and get shots of the Milky Way - I did manage 30s exposures with the lense at 18mm without too much noticeable trailing which let me get images of the Milky Way. Star trails are always good fun - especially if you aim with Polaris central and all the other stars rotating round it. Also, shooting the constellations is useful as it helps in getting used to the night sky.

I can't comment on the Sony A200 as I'm using Canon DSLRs which tend to be the preferred favourite for Astro work but there's no reason why you shouldn;t be able to get some useful shots with the Sony.

Regards

John

hi john thanks for the quick reply, yes i do have a telescope its a celestron 114 slt reflector, i do use my phillips spc 900 for the planets but its the DSO's i find the webcam doesnt work.

ill be getting a tripod for the camera its self i assume 1 that has a motor built on for the tracking of DSO's. also i am thinking about getting a smaller refractor as ive heard alot of intresting things about them ie detail is alot more than a reflector in a light poluted area not sure if this is true. it just saves me moving my other telescope from my bedroom pointing at the east where the planets rise.

ill give it a test soon as i get it for christmas on the orion nebula. and thanks i will also try out the star trials.

Most folks on here seem to be Canon fans but I started with an A200 as well. Had great results on constellation shots at wide angle and M42 through a scope.

Good luck and PM me if you need any help with the sony menus/setting (I've not got my A200 any more - but I do still have a Sony DSLR)

I have a Sony A200 and have used it for long exposures on a 5" Newt at prime focus and motor driven mount. You'll want a remote shutter release to avoid shaking the camera. I've been very pleased with mine for general photography. I haven't used it a lot for astro due to my previous very poor mount but I expect to use it a lot more now I have a much better mount and nice solid concrete pier.

Archived