Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Theta Auriga

New one for me, this :)

Easy to find and well placed at the moment. Theta Auriga is an unequal brightness binary with 3 componants, A (mag 2.7), B (mag 7.2) and C (mag 11). C is around 50 arc seconds away from A and is an optical companion. The challenging bit is the split between the uneven brightness A and B componants which is just 3.7 arc seconds.

With careful focusing I found the split clear and achievable with my ED120mm refractor at 180x. I was testing 5mm eyepieces at the time and found the split looked pretty much the same with a UO HD ortho, a TMB Monocentric and an 8mm Tele Vue Ethos barlowed to 5mm with an Antares 1.6x barlow.

Another one to add to my list of "test" binaries :)

Thats a great performance for an 80mm scope Pat - but then it is a Zeiss :)

I'll give this pair a go with my Vixen 102mm ED when I get a chance and see how that fares. I like using challenging doubles to test seeing / collimation as well.

I've split Delta Cygnus with a 5" scope but, so far, not with less aperture.

Tonight I've split Eta Orionis with my ED120. First time I've noticed this one but it's such an obvious star to find. Pretty close pair - split is about 1.7 arc seconds and the components are 3.8 and 4.8 mag respectively.

just tried this and split it readily with my 6" f11 after it had eventually cooled down enough. this scope seems to take more time than usual to cool (about an hour) even with a small fan. initially I split at 200x and then tried 160x and it split then too. Feeling cocky I put in my 15mm TV plossl and split at 107x which was pleasing.

not sure which star is C though. is it the one below the double or above right (assuming the newt view with A top and B bottom)?

Archived