Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter comparison, C11 Edge

ampleamp

Last night, along with petek314 (Pete), I got the chance to compare a new C11 Edge - thanks FLO - with my existing Meade 127ED.

When I phoned Pete I had 80%+ clear skies and by the time he arrived we were in and out of bands of cloud so Jupiter was only visible for up to 10 seconds at a time before disappearing again. Eventually we lucked on a clear patch which with the relatively dark sky was quite stunning - M31 was naked eye visible, at least it was to Pete.

We started with the C11 on a Meade 40x eyepiece, progressing through a 21, 13 and 8 Ethos (Ethoii??:)). Moving on we transferred to the Meade 127 with the same eyepieces (shame we couldn't do an immediate direct side by side but that would be too much).

The SCT and refractor have very different focal lengths (2800mm versus 952mm) and as a result different possible magnifications and we were keen to see the differences and how they both held up in similar conditions/time frame.

The C11 held excellent views - great resolution and real clarity of features throughout the eyepiece range. At the time of observing, the GRS was not visible, nor any of the recent barges, but there was good detail in the bandings and we could easily see differences in moon sizes. This may be hoped for, actually expected, with an Ethos, but this was confirmation of just how good a scope/combination this is for planets. The 8 was pushing it too far this evening, the best views were with the 13. It is only the second time that I have had chance to use it since its purchase and the first time the seeing was so dreadful i gave up; my dew control also failed that night and probably so did I!.

The Meade, which i have owned for some time, was also good, but for me actually just a little disappointing after the C11. The views were clear and good resolution etc but eyepiece for eyepiece, much smaller. Of course this is to be expected, and as Pete said, he would be using a 5x barlow to get anything close on size in the eyepiece. As with the C11, the 13 was the best view. We then tried a 4x TV along with the 13 to get to 3.25. This was way too much, all clarity had gone and despite our best efforts, focus appeared to be poor.

At this point the clouds had returned with avengence and that was the end. Having started this, I would have liked to carry on to maybe some doubles or maybe M31 since it was visible, or the Orion Nebula as it is a favourite, or even the moon, but this was not possible, maybe another night?

I may be comparing apples with pears as the C11 and 127 are very different scopes, but they are the ones i have access to so that will have to be reason enough. I am very used to, and like the 127, and have every intention keeping it. Maybe it will be better on deep sky, and i am sure it will excel if i ever try imaging a bit more seriously, however, so far after a census of one, I am really pleased with the C11 and utterly sold on it. The obvious improvement in views (better magnification whilst keeping resolution), at least on Jupiter, were more than enough persuassion that I now have a very capable and enjoyable scope/combo.

I would like to do a deeper sky comparison and I would also like to do a 6/12 month ownership review as I think that this is more of a measure, ie getting passed the honemoon period which I am still in ;)

thanks for reading,

Alistair

Thanks for this detailed posting; really interesting. Been meaning to write my first light eperience with the 11HD too but there has been precious little clear sky to test it on since I got it 6 weeks ago.

One thing that amazed me (I've mostly used Newts in the past) was that the 'scope arrived in absolutely perfect collimation - at least to the limits that I can discern doing a visual star test.

I will write up my thoughts at some point, but the precis s the same as yours - cracking scope!

• 2 weeks later...

Nice review. Regarding the Meade vs C11 on deep sky: the C11 will have the edge on everything but a few very wide-field objects. It is just the same with my C8 vs my APM 80mm F/6 triplet. The latter is a cracking little scope, but for faint fuzzies you need aperture. The North America Nebula and Pelican through my 80mm were stunning, as were the Hyades, Pleiades, Double Cluster, Rosette, M31, M33, and the Veil. On 99% of DSOs I have seen, the C8 blows the APM 80mm away.

The 80 mm is a keeper, though. Great for travelling, and wide-field. Will be a great imaging scope if ever i get round to that.

• 2 weeks later...

I have my C11Edge waiting to be picked up by my friend from the Radisson in Manhattan

He is crew for our airline SAA

I. Can't wait for it to arrive

It will live on my new AP1200

Iam looking forward to some good weather but you know what happens

Dave

South Africa

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Archived