Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finder Locator !

I know that there are many of you that will know this technique but some may not, so here goes.

When taking DSO images I came across a problem. When I had the object in view, I then removed the EP and attached my Canon complete with attachment etc. due to the Canon being heavier than the EP and due to an odd knock on the scope, I found that the object was no longer in view and being a DSO I could not find it in my Canon viewer. To solve this problem I have thought up the following idea. 1. Centre object in the EP. 2. Go to the finder and move the cross hairs to a near but rememberable Star. 3. Remove the EP and fit the Camera. 4. Look in the Finder and if the cross hairs are not on the selected Star, re adjust. If you do this the object should now be centre of the Camera viewer without being able to see it. To focus you can move the camera to a local Star, knowing you can re locate again on the selected. I hope that I have explained this OK and have not left anything out.

I would like some feedback on this idea from them in the know as to whether it should work or not or if I have forgotten a fundimental factor.

I guess it depends on the sturdiness of the mount and your (my) clumsiness. I can never get the object in view when I switch camera for e/p. My finder is a joke, it should be called a loser. I just have to hunt for it afterwards.

It also depends on your precision - if you're even slightly off with the finder you may be well off in the camera viewer as the finder is looking at a much larger field of view.

Otherwise it sounds quite a good idea!

[partypooper comment]..... and it also depends if some of the movement is being made by the focuser tube itself (due to the added weight). Which means the finderscope method won't be quite as accurate. [/partypooper comment] :)

Matt

I would like to add that the Finder I use is a 9x50 so it is quite accurate and when I said move the finder I meant re set the controls. Incidently i tried this idea out this afternoon on a object ( small Chimney Cowl) on a house approx. 1 mile away with a 13mm EP and it worked fine. I know its not the same as a DSO but it proves the possibility of it working.

Archived