Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQMOD - GPS - Starrynight/MaximDL location

Penfold

Damn Maplins for sending me a money off voucher, I ended up getting a USB GPS Dongle yesterday. ;)

So after a bit of faffing it is now talking to EQMOD and receiving all the relevant information. I load up SNP or MAXIMDL and have my rough co-ordinates set as my home position plus the time from the laptop, when I connect to EQMOD will the software use the time and position from my gps or the information I've already entered. If the latter is there anyway of getting the gps data into either?

If you click on the gps button in EQmod you can set the com ports for the device (find this from windows device manager) and then click the acquire GPS button. It may take a while first time as it needs to talk to more satellites to confirm position from a cold start.

Ooops sorry, mis-read your question.

I'm not familiar with SNP or MDL, but I know I have to add the gps data manually into Stellarium.

You do want everything running of same coords and importantly time!

If you click on the gps button in EQmod you can set the com ports for the device (find this from windows device manager) and then click the acquire GPS button. It may take a while first time as it needs to talk to more satellites to confirm position from a cold start.

Sorry perhaps I didn't make it clear. Yes that all works no problem, it's just when then using other software say to slew to a certain position in the sky is SNP or Maxim using the location I've set in the software or the location in EQMOD from my gps receiver. Do I need to manually enter the gps co-ordinates into the other software.

OK.... Thanks for that didn't notice any sync with GPS, that's a bit of a shame that they don't receive the location/time data.

The other week I'd somehow interchanged East for West so my position was somewhere in the north sea, I was hoping it might be idiot proof... No such luck!

Hi Mark,

In MDL from the telescope tab in Observatory control there is a button for 'site' it opens up another window. There is a button for 'Load from Scope'. If you are using EQMOD and have your coord's set from GPS it will update Maxim site details from EQMOD.

Not sure about SNP, sorry

Hope that helps.

Steve

The other week I'd somehow interchanged East for West so my position was somewhere in the north sea, I was hoping it might be idiot proof... No such luck!

Yup..that one caught me out too... W being -ve E

It wouldn't be so much fun if it was easy! ;)

I must admit that given the fact that GPS devices are now quite cheap it would be nice if CdC, Stellarium etc all had an option to read the data from a GPS device when setting up the location of the observing site

I'd quite like to somehow be able to download by 'tonights sky' viewing list straight into EQTour too...so if you could mention that aswell...;)

Which "Tonight's sky" are you referring to - there are at least a couple out there :).

This one (Tonight's Sky (Messier,NGC,IC objects)) already is closely integrated with EQTour and does generated compatible tour files. It can also can initiate ASCOM gotos and if you prefer you can have EQMOD launch it rather then EQTOUR.

Chris

OMG....that's amazing!

I really thought I was pipe dreaming! I've now found the EQTour output button. How do you initiate gotos? I'm probably going to stick wit hthe tour option as I tend to be 'off-line' when I'm actually at a dark site, but I'm sure others would like to know too.

THATS SOOOO COOL!

Thanks a bunch Chris

On the results list window there us a large blue button with a telescope on it. Select an object from the main list then hit the telescope button and up pops an EQTOUR like window (it is a actually a hacked version of EQTOUR as is evident by the messages in the message box!) from which you can initiate the slew. No idea why its done like this - personally I would have just added slewing as a right click option from the main list.

Chris.

P.S. Nor is open to suggestions via his Tonight Sky yahoo group.

Archived