NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Found Andromeda for the first time.

Startracker197

Not sure what the sky was like where you were but M31 Andromeda appears like a large slightly elongated fuzzy ball. I find it is at its best with low magnification.

I have never seen it from the middle of a city with very poor skies and this could possibly explain what you saw but if i'm honest, it sounds like you found something else.

Try revisiting it when you can.

ps. What were you using to observe?

Lol I live in one of the largest cities in the US so that doesnt help.... I was using the celestron astromaster 70mm scope mag 40x. It may in fact have been something else though if it was im sure I was still close.... Im taking a trip to the country this weekend so hopefully ill be able to go back to it......

looks like possibly you could have been looking at the wrong thing but then again i do not know how bad your skies are. Pleiades can as you mention look like tiny specs in the sky because they are visable too see. Andromeda should look almost like a cloudy oval even through binoculars. There are a few factors as i say it could be bad conditions, looking at the wrong thing or even just too much magnification as it best viewed at around 20x. hope this helped. Forgot to mention that a star map or using the program stellarium would help you locate it better.

'Tiny specs around a big one...'

That description doesn't sounds like Andromeda. Like others said, Andromeda should be a smudge. I was observing it the other night with a 80mm spotting scope at around 40x in a city and it was definitely a smudge. I don't think I can see M32 or M110. It's unlikely to be a globular either, because in a city that will appear as a smudge as well. It may be a open cluster.

You description sounds almost like Jupiter and its satellite, which is currently positioned similar distance to the south west of Pegasus square as Andromeda is north east. At 40x the planet's disc will be visible but it may not resolve any belts. The difference between the two are quite obvious, but if you are totally new to this hobby it is not an impossible mistake.

Maybe it was just a far off star but it wasnt jupiter though because I had spent a significant amount of time observing Jupiter that night which was far from where I was viewing. I was aiming almost directly overhead so I cant have been to far from it. Ill try and get it this weekend when I go out to the country... any one have any specific stars they use to find it?

Maybe it was just a far off star but it wasnt jupiter though because I had spent a significant amount of time observing Jupiter that night which was far from where I was viewing. I was aiming almost directly overhead so I cant have been to far from it. Ill try and get it this weekend when I go out to the country... any one have any specific stars they use to find it?

Did you perhaps get the Double Cluster or M34? They are in a similar area of the sky, and seem to fit the description well.

Archived