Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observing from ship on North Sea

bamus

Hi All

Next week I am going to join one of my company’s vessel on the route from Zeebrugge to Bremerhaven and Southampton. I know North Sea is not the same as middle of the ocean, but sky quality should be much better than here in UK. I have looked roughly on the charts and in best point, I should be 40 miles away from any LP source (not sure about oil rigs, but these are much north if I remember right).

I hope that weather will let me to do some observations. Normally I do imaging only, but when I have got such a opportunity to see night sky without light pollution , I have to take it J I will be using ships binoculars and on my target lists are: M31, M42, M45. What else is worth looking at under good quality sky?

I will try to do some wide field with my canon imaging on tripod, but I am afraid that ships movement will not let me do more than few seconds exposures. I will have to test it if that is right.

regards

Adam

Hi Adam,

I also work on the North Sea. I'm currently at 61 North and about 80nm from land.

I've also had some great nights observing with the ships Bino's. I think the targets you listed will be good. I managed to sea M31 last month very easily.

Not sure how good AP will be - I've tried a few shots with my DSLR but couldn't get anything. Although we're not a very big ship (60m) so a bit rolly at the best of times!

Anyway good luck - have a good trip and be safe! ;)

Michael

Thanks for your replies

Not sure if M33 will be visible. Apparently its is quite difficult object observe visually.

M81 and 82 are on my list now.

I managed to sea M31 last month very easily.

Have you spotted dark band in-between galaxy arms?

Not sure how good AP will be - I've tried a few shots with my DSLR but couldn't get anything. Although we're not a very big ship (60m) so a bit rolly at the best of times!

My vessel will be 200 meters long car carrier, so she should be stable in calm sea conditions.

oops just realised my "sea/see" mistake! LOL

Yes I could just SEE a little of the dust lanes but a steady and is needed there. If you're bringing a tripod then that would help a great deal I would think.

200m should make it a bit more stable. Hope the weather holds out for you!

Michael

Thanks Mark! I am so looking forward into this trip!

I’ve used to work on the vessels before, but sadly I was not interested in astronomy back then and I have wasted such a great opportunity to watch northern and southern parts of the sky in the middle of oceans L

Archived