NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First jupiter attempt

Mr Flibble

This is my first ever attempt at any sort of imaging. I used the Phillips SPC900NC and Baader Neo filter and x2 barlow. The seeing was pretty poor compared to other nights and my kit kept dewing up but I'm kinda happy with it. It looks way over processed but its the only way I could get any detail considering I probably failed to get good focus.

Jupiter 20 56 03 c.tif

I've got a couple of questions for my next attempt:

1. I've read that a focal length of up to 6m is ideal for planetary? If so I'd like to get a larger barlow for my next attempt :-) My scope is F5, FL 750mm so am I right in thinking a x5 barlow/powermate would be the best option?

2. Also, I've got a bahtinov mask so how do I achieve focus when using a webcam? I'm guessing that with the webcam I focus at a bright star to get the diffraction pattern on my laptop screen and then swing the scope over to jupiter and use the telrad to get it in the field of view?

Thanks.

Excellent first image! Yes a 5x barlow will work well with your scope. You could use a 3x barlow (Tal or Tv) with an extension tube (this can be a barlow with the lens unscrewed) to achieve this also as powermates are expensive. You are correct about the B-mask technique.

Cheers for the info Stuart. I didn't know about using extension tubes in a barlow so I've done a bit of reading and that option is a no go with my x2 barlow because I'd need to extend it by 90mm to get x4. The x3 Tal option looks good though because I could use it with or without extension tubes to achieve up to x5 depending on the seeing conditions, the only problem is the Tal is in short supply. The other option would be a x5 barlow such as this Revelation - how important is barlow quality when imaging using a webcam? Would the Revelation suffice? (Kinda leaning towards the Tal option for its added flexibility).

Hi, I have the same scope as you. I also have a Revelation 5x barlow, however I find it next to useless. It always produces indistinct images, no matter how good the seeing. It is also damned hard to get the object in the filed of view when using the webcam! I get better results with the webcam a a decent quality 2x barlow. I might get myself a 3x barlow to see if it helps.

Good luck with your imaging. Focussing can be a bit of a trial so the Bahtinov mask will help.

Archived