Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

For the Aspiring Theoretical Physicist

From a number of threads / posts recently, I was moved to search for opinions on the nature of,

and qualifications for, being a "Theoretical Physicist". :D

The following seemed fun:

A theoretical physics FAQ

I see Gerard 't Hooft has waxed-eloquent on the subject too:

Gerard ’t Hooft, Theoretical Physics as a Challenge

P.S. As a bog-standard (hardware-orientated!) ex-Particle Physicist, I remained ever (grudgingly?) in awe of Theoreticians. LOL. But am also reminded that Brian Cox only scored a "grade D" Math(s) A-Level. At least I had the decency to get a "grade C"... :eek:

Just bought myself a copy of:

Introduction to Elementary Particles: Amazon.co.uk: David Griffiths: Books

Who knows? A tad late here, but... :)

Might seem amazing now, but the only (mid-70s) Ph.D textbook, I ever had, is now reviewed as a "One Star" on Amazon - Described as the "worst textbook ever"(!) by a couple of reviewers... ;)

Heck, with better guidance, I could've been the proto Brain Corks... :)

Just bought myself a copy of:

Introduction to Elementary Particles: Amazon.co.uk: David Griffiths: Books

Who knows? A tad late here, but... ;)

Excellent book! I own both the first and second editions. It might be fun to skip to the end and read chapter 12 first (or maybe chapters 11 and 12)!

It might be fun to skip to the end and read chapter 12 first (or maybe chapters 11 and 12)!
Well, I sneaked a preview. But indeed, an extraordinary book. In Ch.1/2, after a "historical perspective", and even before the math(s) begins, one can draw Feynman diagrams (for QED, Weak and Strong processes) - Make experimental predictions too! Even contemplate Kobayashi-Maskawa, OZI supression and GUTs. ;)

I sense, problems with past texts - Where confidence was cumulatively eroded by not knowing the EXACT meaning of (mostly mathematical) terms, is well addressed. I found myself laughing out loud (in revelation) a couple of times! Who knows, I may yet know the difference between covariancy and contravariancy... :)

Archived