NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Derbyshire Northern Lights.

Had a good interesting display this evening, before the Moon appeared and bleached the sky.

Before 7pm several bands and curves appeared overhead and to the North. These glowed lightly and changed shape . This is the 2nd time they've shown here this autumn.

There has been a lot of solar activity, it's worth keeping a look out.

hi there a while ago i saw something that i thought was aurora it was nlc clouds heres my blog take a look this was sen over bolsover in derbyshire i sent it to the derbyshire times cheers pat

http://stargazerslounge.com/blogs/todd8137/844-my-published-pictures-derbyshire-times-14th-july-2011.html

please take alook at this blog i did a while ago it may answer your Qs about what it was

No aurora up here,no aurora up in the arctic circle as far as i'm aware,either.All the KP indices have almost flatlined at 1-2 over the last 5 days.No earth directed CME'S,no x or m class flares,absolutely nothing.

It requires a KP of 3 for me to see a low glow on the horizon at 59N and my Northerly horizon is the sea.

To see them in the midlands would require a storm of probably KP 7 and even then they wouldnt be overhead.

Aurora have appeared "without warning" before but the activity is always been detected/recorded.None of the KP indices went over KP1 last night so it takes a bit of explaining how they were seen in Derbyshire but no reports or photos from anyone up to 1000 miles further north.

If they could be seen in Derbyshire there would have been one helluva a show in the Arctic Circle.

Archived