Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

guidescope prob?

redfox1971

Hello i recently bought a qhy5 guidecam and adapter to convert my celestron 9x50 finderscope to guidescope,i removed the focus eyepiece from finderscope screwed adapter in till tight attached cam but cant seem to get enough focus,i dont think the adapter has screwed in far enough,is adapter ment to go in flush no threads showing?anybody come across this problem,i've tried adjusting focus on end of finder but no luck,otherwise i may have to try clean threads up,see if i can get adapter in more.

I use the qhy5 with skywatcher 9 x50 finder and focus is easily achieved. I do have some thread showing at the camera end of the finder scope and I just adjusted focus at the other.

I believe a little out of focus is no bad thing anyway as it allows phd to pick out the star more for guiding.

Hello beamer,I tryed focusing by adjusting focus on front of finder and by unwinding qhy5 a little but can only get a star down to a size of a 10 pence size on screen if i remove adapter and just place qhy5 inside scope i can reduce star to what should be star size,so seems adapter needs to allow qhy5 to go in more,I'm going to try cleaning threads inside scope as seems to be paint in threads.O adapter has about 6 threads showing outside rear finder.

Hello,

I just bought an adapter from Bern and fitted it to my QHY5 and skywatcher 9x50 finder yesterday. The threads engaged fine and screwed easily. I did a rough focus in daylight with the qhy5 connected to my PC and then fine tuned on Jupiter last night. Easier to see focus in PHD than with a star.

I had to adjust the focus by loosening the locking ring at the front of the finder and turning the objective lens but managed to achieve focus OK.

I've attached a pic to show how many threads forward I moved the objective from its rearmost position. I've screwed the locking ring back to show the threads.

Maybe you did get the wrong adapter? I'm sure Modern Astronomy will help out. They get very good reviews on here.

Good luck.

post-23650-133877692158_thumb.jpg

When using these adapters (inc the one for web cams) you need to unscrew the lens hood and the ring from the front of the finder, then replace just the lens hood, which can now be screwed further down the barrel, thus achieving focus.

Bernard makes excellent adapters, and the only reason I can think of for the treads to be "different" are down to user error, in that you have them cross threaded in some way.

Hi thanks for your help,i contacted bern yesterday and it seems theirs a few celestron 9x50 finder scopes out their that have got a coarser thread than the norm and mines one of them so looks like prob going be sorted so just got to return this one for replacement,thanks for help.

Archived