NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First Light: SW 200 PDS and Coma corrector

After 3 whole weeks of waiting I finally got to use the above for the first proper session last night, so thought I'd give my thoughts on them.

Scope came from Astronomia, coma corrector from FLO - both have given great service (well actually FLO have given OUTSTANDING service - the first CC didn't arrive so they sent me another, so big thankyou :D).

The scope arrived in unmarked, beautiful shiny black condition. Everything was very well packaged with no visible dust, dirt or debris anywhere. Both the eyepiece (2" 28mm) and focuser caps were in place and secure, which gives confidence, and seeing the size of a 2" eyepiece for the first time was quite an eyeopener (pun apologies).

Anyways, the scope appears to be in perfect collimation thankfully, and is a big step up from the 127 MN in terms of brightness, although with the reduced focal length image size is slightly smaller. My first target was a rapidly setting M13, instantly brighter in the 28mm, and moving to a 12mm BST still gave me a far brighter view of the cluster than I'm used to getting (in my 127 Mak), although with the low elevation and poor seeing I didn't push further in terms of magnification. Next was Albireo, my current favourite double, and WOW what a difference. The colours were so much more obvious than in the Mak, and a 8mm gave me a couple of decent sized discs against a very black background - absolutely stunning. After a good 30 mins I decided to have a quick look at Jupiter and the moon before sticking the camera on and then calling it a night. Jupiter was not at it's best due to the rather wet atmosphere, but bands were still clearly visible, and the moons were bright and clearly round. Getting good focus in rubbish seeing is helped by a decent focuser. The 10:1 focuser is a massive improvement over the sloppy Mak's system, and the ability to lock focus with a thumbscrew was nice too. Then the moon... Now I am not normally a big fan of looking at the moon, but through the 12mm this gave an almost entirely full FOV, and by God it was breathtaking. The detail and clarity achievable was stunning. And bright too (might be purchasing a filter pretty soon!). I have never seen so many craters and features in such high contrast before. Whoever says these refractors are not suitable for lunar or planetary has obviously not looked with a clear mind.

Lastly I stuck the camera on to see what the coma corrector really does. Wall to wall pin sharp stars is your answer. Without it the stars from 1/3 from the centre start looking deformed, and to the edge are really egg shaped. But no issues whatsoever with it on.

So, all in all, I am extremely happy with both new toys, and can throughly recommend them.

This is my first ever new scope review, so if it sounds a bit 'waffly' do excuse me. I promise to work harder on the next one!

You will be very well off with that scope! I started with 200P and it is still a great piece of equipment and a very cost effective solution.

You should insulate it to reduce dew. I wrote a long one in a previous thread (you can search for my contributions and find it easily). The large black body of the tube radiates heat like no other and will aid dew condensation considerably!

Good luck with it!

/p

I was thinking of getting the SW Explorer 200 PDS OTA but for £100 more can get the 250 PDS OTA so not wanting to change scopes too often, thought I'd go for the 250. Is there any disadvantage in going for the 250 as opposed to the 200 other than cost?

Archived