Skymax 90 extra eyepieces

Hello all,

I've recently brought a Skymax 90 scope and am thinking about buying a couple of extra eyepieces. I've read Warthog's post http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/80772-eyepieces-very-least-you-need.html which is excellent and am thinking of getting:

17mm Plossl

35-40mm Plossl

Maybe a 2x barlow

My question is whether anyone has experience of using the Antares super plossl range in this scope? Or should I stick to the Skywatcher range? I've also been looking at the TMB planetary II eyepieces which keep getting great reviews - but would these work well in the Skymax 90?

My main interests for observing are the larger planets, the Moon and double stars.

Many thanks in advance if you take the time to reply

Hi redemba,

I used to have the skymax 102, so similar in that the 90 has a long focal length and f ratio c13.5. If you have the funds I would reccomend the BST explorers they are c£40 and good value for money. So a couple of those and a barlow and you are well on your way.

Max practical mag is c180x so if you follow warthogs guide you will be fine. for rough guide a 10mm will yield 125x,15mm 83x, 20mm 62.5x, 25mm will give 50x.

Good luck with your choice

If you like to observe widefield images then a 30-32mm plossl EP is a great one to have. Some widefield EP's such as 40mm have a very narrow FOV and are not nice to use. A 30-32mm with a 50 degree FOV is perfect (Vixen NPL)

I have a 90mm (f11) refractor scope and when i do use it for observing the Moon and planets i like to use a 9mm EP.

I have also in the past used a 2x barlow with the 90mm scope and really didnt get along with it. The main purpose of a barlow if to give magnification while providing comfort; it is more comfotable to observe with an 8mm EP and a 2x barlow then it is to observe with just a 4mm EP. If the barlow is of good quality you should get the same view. If the barlow is poor quality it will dim and blur the view a bit.

Also adding more glass to the equation (between the front of the scope and your eye) is not always the best thing.

In summary, i'd suggest buying a 9mm,15,30-32mm EP.

P.S.~~~SkyWatcher EP's really are quite good.

P.P.S.~~~i was just checking out the TMB II ep's and they sell for around $50. Not sure of the Pound/Dollar exchange rate but i think they are much for much? They certainly are a popular choice. If they are within your budget then they seem like a good choice. I've never used them so cant comment on how well they work. The Vixen NPL range is in my budget but more then that i have tried them and own a couple and swear by them.

Thanks for everyone's input I've ordered an 18mm BST and a TMB Designed 15mm from Skies the Limit today to see how they compare. Great service from Alan!

Thanks for the information on the GSO Plossls and the Vixen NPLs might try those next if any come up second hand anywhere.

Archived