Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dark spots around London/Essex Kent?

Hey,

Do any of you know where there are any dark places to go around London/Essex or Kent, or any other surrounding areas? I've tried a few spots but only found 1 place in Sevenoaks which is decent. All the rest seem to be a bit dodgey if you get what i mean...

Ideally, i'd like to set up next to the car for warmth etc but i don't mind luggin the stuff around for a while if needs be!

Any suggestions?

Wow, great link and fantastic image. I'd seen the the Need-Less one but not this. Sheffield looks pretty screwed for light pollution but at least its not London (sorry!).

According to the Need-less map the Lleyn Peninsula, N Wales, sounds like the place to go with mag 7 skies. I am wondering if many people visit these really dark sky hotspots and if so how regularly.

Hi peterules,

I live about 4 miles east of Maldon, going towards Tolleshunt and Tollesbury, once you get away from Maldon it is very dark, no street lights, very few built up areas, so may be worth a try round here. Unfortunately it still gets cloudy though!

• 2 weeks later...
Been to Dengie a few times now and really like the spot for the wide FOV and low light pollution. Thanks for the recommendation! Is there and local meets around there? would be good to meet a few people on here :)

Under sufficient lighting and with proper ID if would be :) Pirates 'n' smugglers be out thar.

Archived