People who where thick or thin glasses.

My girlfriends mum finds it difficult to view jupiter through my scope,me and the rest of the family can see her moons and storm lines but all she can see is a dot of light.

how do people with glasses compensate and get a better view like a person with out glasses?

Try refocusing the telescope?

That's not meant to be as harsh as it sounds, my daughters focus point and mine (wearing glasses) are quite different.

Alternatively, ask her to take her glasses off and refocus the telescope (in case it's eye relief issues?)

I have quite hefty glasses but have wonderful views through every scope I've tried :)

I think long eye relief is the answer. I don't have any long eye relief (LER) eyepieces myself (glasses wearer with astigmatism), but my birding bins have LER and the image fills the frame perfectly with glasses against the eyecups. The cups twist out so non glasses-wearers can see perfectly through them also.

I imagine the same should be available with eyepieces. I'd like to get some myself someday.

I think long eye relief is the answer. I don't have any long eye relief (LER) eyepieces myself (glasses wearer with astigmatism), but my birding bins have LER and the image fills the frame perfectly with glasses against the eyecups. The cups twist out so non glasses-wearers can see perfectly through them also.

I imagine the same should be available with eyepieces. I'd like to get some myself someday.

The Celestron X-Cel eyepieces have long eye relief and are recommended for glasses wearers.

First Light Optics - Celestron X-Cel ED eyepiece

I took my scope along to an outreach event this weekend, and used my TS Planetaries to show off Jupiter. I normally observe without glasses, but that night I kept them on and focussed using my corrected vision - only possible with a long eye relief EP. The resulting focus seemed to be close enough for most of the observers who came to have a look.

By the way, astigmatism does not affect views with a small exit pupil (eg where the magnification is greater than the aperture in millimeters).

... or your girl friends mum could have IOL or laser eye surgery. That way she wouldn't need glasses. As a side benefit during the day she would be even more beautiful :)

NO NO NO!!! Laser eye surgery, don't even think about it. Believe me, they don't publish the ones that go wrong!

Archived