Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Takahashi -160 mount

robbieince

Hi

There is a tak NJP-160 Temma2 on astro-buysell at the mo and I am in discussion with the seller. I am sorely tempted....

He is asking for £3500 or near offer and is offering all the bits to make it work in my observatory and a wooden tripod.

The mount is rated at 30kg for imaging which would be perfect for me in a dual scope set up and should have way better pe and tracking than my eq6 currently has.

Any thoughts on price and capabilities of this mount? Anyone actually got one? Any gotchas or red flags?

All input appreciated.

Regards

Rob

I got one of those 3 years ago

adjusted the backlash on the dec and not touched it since

and I am a tinkerer

It carries my Tak 102 ,WO132 and vixen 80mm solarscope no problem

It has had my 300mm flextube on it and it did not complain (I did though cos I could not get the roof on the obs)

pm me if you have any q's

Steve

I know this mount personally since it has visited my place. I wouldn't want to saunter into town with it over my shoulder but it is serious kit. The vendor is not a person you need to regard with suspicion. The usual questions apply. How old is it, what guarantee is offered, can it be demonstrated, etc. FWIW I have seen it doing the business very nicely.

Olly

I'm curious as to the specs. Their web site prodly presents it as having altitude settings with a scale ranging all the way up to 48°! On my map, that's just about Paris, France or so. Does it work in England or do you have to get an extra wedge of some kind in order to use it.

I looked at when half drunk and in buying mood and backed off - my dwelling is at 59° and some...

So, can anyone shed light on that little detail?

All the best (clouds, clouds, clouds)

/per

Thanks guys and especially Olly - that helps a lot. It's always a bit worrying responding to Internet adverts with someone you have no prior knowledge of.

I am talking to him again tonight so thank you for the quick responses.

Regards

Rob

Robert (the seller) sent me photos last night that showed the mount at 51 degrees but also showed that the polar scope housing is close to the azimuth adjustment mechanism at this height

He is checking but it looks like I could get a small amount of additional angle but I reckon 65 degrees would be out of the question.

I have given him an offer for it - fingers crossed for me.

Regards

Rob

Let's hope you get it. I have heard that it is a fantastic mount. Guess it is not for us northerners, though, unless one builds an observatory and use a pre-angled base pillar to combat the lack of angle.

/per

I beleieve that is, in fact, what people do to use the Tak mount at highter latitudes.

Olly

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let anyone know, I decided against this mount and I believe it is still available.

No reflection on the mount or the seller, it was a little more than I wanted to pay and it wasn't available till mid December, coupled to it being quite a long way away from me.

So it's available for anyone who was considering it.

I have since managed to source a good, local, used Losmandy G11 - now just waiting for a pier adaptor.

Regards

Rob

Archived