Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Handheld photography... give us your best shot!

Blackheart

Following up on my previous post of a handheld shot of Jupiter I thought I would just post this so that people can see the results can be replicated even if it does take a few attempts.

In this shot you can just see Io before it disappears behind the disk of Jupiter. You can also make out two dark spots in the main cloud belt and some vague detail in the cloud belt to the top of the pic. When I first started looking I thought one of the spots was a shadow transit. I have never seen one before so did not know exactly what to look for. However, a quick look on Stellarium showed that it was not a shadow but a dark spot in the clouds. Still... nice to see and even nicer that the spots showed up in a handheld shot with a basic digital compact.

I'v also included a shot of the moon taken with the camera's 'sunset' setting. I just think it might be worth showing people what they can achieve while they are saving up for an EQ6, a nice ED apo and a shiny Starlight Xpress!

So, go on... If you've got any nice handheld shots then slot them in here and we'll see what people are up to...

Clear skies (and steady hands!)

BH

post-18662-133877689706_thumb.jpg

post-18662-133877689712_thumb.jpg

Obviously the image does no justice to how Saturn looks through the EP. Its also a lot bigger in the image above because the camera was set on 10X zoom.

I dont want people to think that this is how big Saturn appears to the naked eye while observing through a 90mm scope.

Archived