NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Planetary camera advice

Hi all,

As quite a few of you know, I have a trusty TAL 2M (6" F8 refractor). I have finally committed to getting a camera for planetary work, with a view to rrying a bit of longer exposure later on (need to fix a nick on the RA worm drive but this isn't a biggie).

I need to limit the spend on this as far as possible and everything I have read over the last year suggests that I should be looking at a Philips SPC880 / 900. I know this will mean I need to do the lpon exposure mod but my brother-in-law is pretty decent with electronics and I am sure we can figure it out.

Is this still the best choice or has it been superceded by an equivalent price camera?

Thanks,

James.

For planetary, you do not need the long exposure modification.

You use the webcam to capture at high frame rates (you will probably be limited to 5-10 fps). This will enable you to get a heap of frames (in an AVI), which can then be run through a stacking program, extracting the best images and stacking them.

This helps to negate adverse atmospheric conditions.

If you move to DSO, then you could do the LX mod.

I would go the SPC800/900 route as this is the best value for money option.

I bought one a couple of weeks ago and gave it a first try out last Sunday night. I've used a Meade LPI and found Jupiter to be about twice the size in the SPC900, although maybe Jupiter is closer this year than it was six years ago when I imaged it with the LPI (I don't Know).

ScubaMike - yes, that is exactly what I meant - thanks for confirming.

Dave, brantuk, thanks! brantuk - what is the DMK?

edit: OK, just seen the DMK - I see what you mean! I'll stick with the SPC for now :)

Cheers,

Janmes.

Archived