Ccd for £500ish for DSO?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or APT will do it for you. Very nice user interface, fully automatable, focus tools, object database, integrates with PHD guiding, the lot.

Loads of features available in the free demo or the full package is less than £12.

Your right but its my belief that the DSLR will only work like this with shots up to 30 seconds, any longer require the "bulb" setting, this requires a bit of kit from a 3rd part vendor to automate it...at a further cost to the price of the camera. I use a Nikon D80 with a wired remote also have the infra red remote but shots longer than 30 seconds require me to press and release the remote button for every shot, there is at a cost a extra bit of kit to do this but its a extra cost.

As I stated, and examples provided by Earl and Rik above, software can do this. No purchase required :)

Hi,

Tinker, What you are saying is correct for “earlier” versions of the Canon Eos Digital range.

I have an Eos20d and this, as you say, requires a ‘remote’ cable attachment for extended exposures beyond 30s, i.e. When in bulb mode.

However, in the later versions, there was access to bulb mode via the USB cable and Canon Eos utility software or third party software, BackyardEos, etc. The models supported are shown on the Backyard website, which also shows which cameras require the “serial” cable for bulb.

Regards

Dave

Or APT will do it for you. Very nice user interface, fully automatable, focus tools, object database, integrates with PHD guiding, the lot.

Loads of features available in the free demo or the full package is less than £12.

Don't forget BackyardEOS as an alternative to APT. BackyardEOS has one of the best user interfaces around, and because of this has the edge over APT for me.

Note that APT and BackyardEOS aren't just intervalometers they also provide other benefits, one of which are tools to help you get good focus.

Except of DSLR there are some options in dedicated astro cams:

- Brightstar Mammut - nice, exp. if you have longer focal length

- Atik 314E - rarely used but for small refractors and lenses it's a cool cam.

- Second hand DSI III Pro - can be found cheap and has the best Sony CCD for DS imaging.

Small DS color cams - if you want such cam try second hand. New cams loose some/a lot of the value (by beeing color and small).

Archived