NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

24Mm widefield very 32mm plossl

sunshine185

I would opt for the plossl.

Although the wide field would produce similar views the edges may not be sharp. So you could have a sharp central view and slightly blurred edges.

Would depend on the plossl of course, a 32mm TV should be sharp across the whole lot I would expect.

Couldn't someone lend you one to try. Always makes choosing easier.

Should have made it a bit more understanding really, at close to a hundred quid there its the hyperion 24mm, and for thirty quid or less there is a plethora of 32mm plossls available, having to save up a while to buy each ep, i would be devastated to get a hyperion only for the view to be the same or even worse than something that could be picked up on ebay for a rediculously low amount. For example, i bought a used,25mm skywatcher ep, the bog standard one that comes with most new scopes, paired it with the one i already had and used them in my binoviewer, the view was incredible, now my next purchase will be a widefield ep, but not sure if paying a premium will be of any benefit, many thanks for your help btw.

?

Baffled as to why anyone would think a 32mm Plossl would be a better choice in a slow scope. Assuming even merely reasonable eyepieces a 24mm, 68 degree eyepiece wins hands down.

It's "no contest" - without any doubt.

The only reason why you'd ever opt for the 32mm in a slow scope is if you need the extra brightness to lighten the view through an OIII or similar filter. However, in practice whenever I've been tempted to do this, I've still found I see more detail and a more pleasing view throught the 24mm Meade SWA that I use.

Short of a Panoptic, the 24mm Meade SWA is a very nice alternative.

Good Meade SWA prices here <click>

(24mm Meade SWA here <click>)

Whenever anyone asks for mak 127 buying advice, it is often mentioned that the scope is more tolerable of cheaper ep's than something like a f5 dob, so the reason i asked was because if cheap ep's give a nice view, then is it really of much benefit to pay more than double. Being relatively new to the hobby, and almost always skint, a sixty quid + difference in price is a lot if there is hardly any visual improvement. btw thnx for the link to the meade ep's.

In a Mak 127, the Meade is a better choice than the Panoptic. Just as sharp, and better edge illumination, and a fraction of the price.

Also, at that price, there is nothing that beats the Meade to my knowledge. It's a very comfortable eyepiece with a very "immersive" view.

The difference in price is the field size. The Plössl is 50° and a Hyperion 68°.

So with your Mak the 32mm will give x47 and 1.06° actual field, the 24mm will give x63 and 1.09° actual field.

The 24mm wins by a mile :)

Fao great bear, have you compared the meade to a hyperion?

No, but I've heard the 24mm is the least well-corrected in the Hyperion range.

It's also worth noting that the Hyperion is a £95 eyepiece, but the Meade is a £250 eyepiece that's on special offer at £99, as the range is being discontinued.

My widefield EP used to be a GSO Revelation 32mm and it was probably my favourite EP to use. Now it's relegated to my plossls case as I now have a Hyperion 24mm. The difference in the quality of the view, darker sky, sharper view etc... justifies the difference in price to me.

I did consider the Meade 24mm SWA but by the time I found one at the right price I had already bought my first Hyperion and my OCD means I now want a set of them, rather than a range of different EPs :)

No, but I've heard the 24mm is the least well-corrected in the Hyperion range.

Optically, I would say I slightly prefer my 17mm hyperion over my 24mm, but the difference is slight.

Happily as I understand it, although Meade SWA is changed, the old optical design is becoming available again under the Explore Scientific label. The asking price in the US for the 68 degree 24mm is currently $160 which on the usual astronomy rate of exchange could well be £160 in the UK.

Archived