NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

In search of Total Darkness

Bart

My wife and kids are away at the moment. I'd love to spend some 'quality time' with my scope. However, the moon is in the way and the forecast is for clear skies tonight and tomorrow morning. Stellarium suggest the moon and sun are both lower than -18 degrees (which I understand is astronomical darkness) at about 4am. Tempted to eat, sleep and start the day very early with some real dark sky observing. Am I right in thinking this is as dark as I'll get?

Painting the front room is why I'm left behind so I'll probably end up painting the room a differnt colour due to the near coma like state I should be in tomorrow. Ah well, can't win them all.

Should it be 'black' tonight at 4am?

Thanks

Bart

Thank you for the help Gentlemen, think I'll go to bed now and have a go early tomorrow There's a lot of info on that wesite Brantuk, seen it before, but never really stopped to look at it much. Clear skies to you both!

Bart

Well folks, here goes, its 3:50am and the scope is out, the kettle in on. Yes its dark, even without adapted eyes, I can see all the Ursa Minor stars. Sunshine185, even where I am, the orangeness is getting worse as time passes. I cant really complain though, except maybe for the mist thats coming in.

Bart

I like early mornings rather than late nights the air seems stiller , at the moment it looks fairly stunning outside (been up since 4) .But as you say just before dawn the mist starts to form but i can live with that :)

Just having a coffee now. Great night/morning. Used my Wixey for the first time. I can't believe how much it helps. Got the Leo triplet, M3, a really lovely edge on galaxy NGC4631 (thanks SACs 110 Best of the NGCs), M63,M51 , M42 (who can keep their eyes off that beauty) and just before the east got too bright, old Big Ears, Saturn came up. Couldn't get the scope to it, but it was lovely and golden colour with the oval shape clearly visible in the binocs.

A good night.

Bart

Archived