Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Taunton Spacewalk

I live in Taunton and even have the good luck ( :)) to work for the local council who host the file you've linked too. Of course that doesn't mean I can access the file through our own network... :D

I hadn't heard of this so will have a look.

I've set up a scale solar system in my yard with the Sun represented by an American dime-17mm. Mercury is 200cm, Venus 400cm and so on. Pluto is well over 100 meters away while Alpha Centauri is located just south of Reno, Nevada-over 1200 Km away! Lots of fun for the younguns. :)

I have walked this a couple of times now. As it runs along the Bridgwater (my home town) & Taunton Canal. It's approx 14 miles. You find yourself passing a planet quite often as you pass the inner planets, then the gaps are bloomin long as you can imagine!

Matt

I quite often go to watch county cricket in Taunton (my son is a cricket fanatic) and the Pluto sign is just outside the ground. Not sure which direction Neptune is!

It's a clever idea, but I wonder how many people notice it.

Should be changed of course to reflect the new realities.

Geoff, shall we meet next to the Pluto stone in the dead of night with sledge hammers at the ready ?

:)

<< checks the maps to see if my local council own the land>>

Nope?

Blind eye will be turned... :D

Matt

This could be a job for the Dwarf Planet Liberation Front (Taunton branch).

Maccers

I thought the area around 'Pluto' was all being re-developed as part of the 'Taunton Vision' so it might become a casualty anyway.

Maccers

I thought the area around 'Pluto' was all being re-developed as part of the 'Taunton Vision' so it might become a casualty anyway.

It almost certainly will if the plans go ahead. [Politics] With yesterdays change in control of Taunton Deane Council we'll have to wait and see what happens. [/Politics]. I doubt the powers that be even know Pluto is there (outside the County Cricket ground that is).

Couldn't resist a 'Pluto image' whilst I was at the cricket today. Easier than the real thing. Didn't have to polar align or anything.

Only one frame with my Nikon Coolpix 4300, and absolutely no stacking or processing in Registax :)

Really pleased with the detail although it had to be compressed to get under the attachment limit!

post-13129-133877327897_thumb.jpg

Archived