Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar filters for 15X70 binoculars

altnacraig

Apart from carefully making your own from Baader planetarium astrosolar film, I can't think of any. Personally I would only consider looking at the Sun through a proper solar scope. All it would take would be a slight cut or hole in the film and you'd run the risk of severe damage to your eyes. :)

• 1 month later...

You probably can construct filters for the 15x70 binocular (but I wouldn't! - too much risk).

A safer method to view the sun might be via projection (put the cap on one of the objective lenses).

Here's a basic example (me showing a partial solar eclipse, outside a pub, back in 1996:drunken_smilie:)

post-31088-133877712088_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I've decided against filters for binoculars and gone for a solar filter for my Meade ETX125. All I have to do now is wait for the winds to drop and for some sun. Not much of it lately on the Isle of Man!

Archived