NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Flaming Star Nebula with a twist

MikeWilson

Good afternoon,

Without further ado; my latest image:

6305643483_3627150584_b.jpg

"Interstellar space". Nebulosity and star clusters in Auriga. by MikeWPhotos, on Flickr

The twist being that I started out imaging M35 and M36, a pair of star clusters and thought that the nearby Flaming Star Nebula and NGC 1893 were in more or less the same compositional arrangement, connected by the star Phi Aurigae and it's small emission nebulae surrounding it.

6306165388_8625e8b214_b.jpg

"Interstellar Space", M35 and M36 in Auriga. by MikeWPhotos, on Flickr

My next step is to attempt a mosaic of this area. I only have 9 x 3 minute subs on M35/M36 and I plan to return to these with at least an hour's worth of 5 minute subs, if not longer.

Thanks in advance for any feedback, critique or commentary!

All the best,

Mike

Good framing, star colour and nebulosity on the Flaming star, but the colours werent quite right (the background seemed very purple(ish). So I loaded it into PS and the histogram showed what needed to be done to balance it.

I will attach a before and after histogram for you (I adjusted it using levels on the individual R,G and B channels), added 5% saturation too - hope you dont mind :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=72227&stc=1&d=1320261207

Rob

post-18171-133877687393_thumb.jpg

post-18171-133877687396_thumb.jpg

post-18171-133877687399_thumb.jpg

Thanks John. It's a cracking scope too.

I've re-edited it as per Rob's suggestions. As it happens, I use a program on my PC called F.lux which actually dims/yellows the monitor according to the calculated brightness/colour temperature of the sun.. and I forgot to disable it so whilst it looked ok on my screen, the background was quite hideous for everyone else!

6305643483_a9b4526b67_b.jpg

"Interstellar space". Nebulosity and star clusters in Auriga. by MikeWPhotos, on Flickr

Thanks again Rob.

Clear skies,

Mike

I don't think I've clipped it - I left about '4' points of breathing space clear of the precipice of the left hand side of each colour channel's darkest point.

The FOV is pretty good, although it does suffer more from curvature than a smaller chip. But working with it, I also did a few subs of M31 last night and I managed to fit the galaxy in vertically up and down on the frame which made me smile :) If I'd frame something like Andromeda centrally, I'd get curvature in the corners that would be difficult to crop out and I still haven't learnt how to devolute stretched stars yet.

I used a 0.8x Televue TRF-2008 reducer/flattener here.

All the best,

Mike

Archived