new scope/eyepiece

hi all thx for the response to my previous post re book to get ive invested in several and am learning my way round the sky but ive decided my binos just dont fit the bill so ive decided to go for a skywatcher 200p on an eq5 to start with and want to get a good quality eyepiece to start me off i was looking at the meade 5000 range to start with but if anyone could point me in a better/differnent direction id be grateful was thinking of this First Light Optics - Meade Series 5000 Super Plossl

any help appreciated thanks

What sort of thing are you most interested in looking at? As that will affect which eyepiece people will recommend.

In my humble opinion, get the scope and use the eyepieces that come with it. That will give you a better idea of what type of eyepiece you want to buy next. Pointless spending all your money on a wide field eye piece if you discover you spend all your time looking at the planets. The basic skywatcher eyepieces aren't the best you can buy, but they do work perfectly well.

Hope that helps.

I find the Meade 5000 9mm is definitely better than the 10mm that comes with a Skywatcher scope, but the 25mm isn't too bad. The build quality of the Meade EPs is much higher.

Having said that I'm using a 130P, so you'd get a much higher magnification out of it, and I don't know what effect that would have. It's better, but I don't think you'd be blown away with the optical difference though.

nice choice on the 'scope... have a play with the supplied eyepieces..then decide if you want a lower or higher power mag. Try to find a local observing group...pop along, & have a chat..have a look at what they use ...maybe even try their eyepiece in your 'scope. everyones eyes are different..what suits one person may be useless to another... if you can...always try before you buy

for jupiter and upcoming saturn you will want more mag than the 10mm will give you (100x) 5 or 6 mm will be better .

incase you dont know, xmag = focal length / eyepiece focal length. 200p had an FL of 1000. so 1000/5 = 200x. might not always be able to use this mag but more often than not you will, so in my opinion it is a worthwhile purchase.

you want something with good eye relief - a tmb II 5mm can be picked up for about 30 quid and does the job nicely

thanks for the responses guys ill mainly be looking at dso but will prob ant to look at the planets/moom etc esp if i can coax the missus into having a look, i`ll be sure to keep an open mind re eyepieces any you guys use or recommend?

Archived