NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Your starter questions for 10 .. SW250PDS

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of buying a SW250PDS OTA as an upgrade to my SW150PL and have some real numpty questions (sorry):

i) Will this OTA fit on my HEQ5 Pro mount and still use the mount ok? Does it use the same type of dove tail bar as smaller scopes?

ii) I don't have a permanent set up. I have to build-break down the mount & scope for every session. Is this do-able with a scope of this size?

ii) Can I use this scope for imaging (mainly planets, moon) as well as for visual use? Is it a bit over the top for moon imaging?? At the moment, I only have a web cam for imaging but I have a Nikon D40 DSLR that I'm planning to use at sometime in the future. I'm not planning on autoguiding just yet.

iii) I have a whole bunch of 1.5" eyepieces ... can I use these in this scope?

iv) Is the dual speed focus system better than the SW remote control focuser I have fitted onto my SW150? Could I use the remote control focuser with the duel speed?

v) Is this big scope easier or harder to collimate?

Many thanks

Pete

i)...it will fit, the motor & mount will struggle

ii)..partly the weight but moreso the increase in physical size will be more awkward...but, doable

IMHO...even the HEQ5 Pro will really struggle for imaging

iii) yep

v) the same

I have one of these. Very nice scope. In answer to your queries:

i) Will this OTA fit on my HEQ5 Pro mount and still use the mount ok? Does it use the same type of dove tail bar as smaller scopes?

It will probably fit, but really is too much for an HEQ5 weight-wise. definitely not on if you wish to get into imaging due to the extra weight of guidescopes & Cameras

ii) I don't have a permanent set up. I have to build-break down the mount & scope for every session. Is this do-able with a scope of this size?

Probably, if you're reasonably fit! But mine is permanently setup, and it would be a real pain to have to dismantle it each session

ii) Can I use this scope for imaging (mainly planets, moon) as well as for visual use? Is it a bit over the top for moon imaging?? At the moment, I only have a web cam for imaging but I have a Nikon D40 DSLR that I'm planning to use at sometime in the future. I'm not planning on autoguiding just yet.

Yes. Well, I use mine for lunar, planetary and DSOs.

iii) I have a whole bunch of 1.5" eyepieces ... can I use these in this scope?

Presumably you mean 1.25"? In which case yes.

iv) Is the dual speed focus system better than the SW remote control focuser I have fitted onto my SW150? Could I use the remote control focuser with the duel speed?

I think you can fit it with a bit of fiddly modification. Been meaning to do that myself

v) Is this big scope easier or harder to collimate?

I have had several Newtonians, and I'd say this one was easier because of the 'Bobs Knobs' (large nuts at the base of the tube which are adjusted to ease collimation) fitted as standard.

RE: ii) I don't have a permanent set up. I have to build-break down the mount & scope for every session. Is this do-able with a scope of this size?

------------------------------------------------------------

My 12" weighs 3 stone, is 5 feet long and almost 14" diameter.

I'm 10stone and 5'6", I can carry this about 40 feet, I'm 39yo. but don't carry too much fat, I have three young children as my weight training regime.

I can carry this OTA becasue it has a couple of old camera mounting points that are bolted to the tube which makes it 100x easier to grab hold of. There's nothing much that's harder to shift about than a slippery heavy large tube. So get it, and put some strong handles on it.

Derek

(PS, lifting it with one hand on the bottom edge makes life much easier too)

Archived