Beginner needs help

hello everyone

recently I have borrowed a meade 80mm refractor of a friend as she does not use it anymore. I have been using it for the past month and I have really enjoyed using it. I have viewed some deep space objects, which I have to admit were not to detailed, even so it was still very exciting.

I am now ready to buy my own telescope. My main interest is deep space objects and I am definateley interested in astrophotography with a DLSR camera. I have done some research and I know that for viewing DSO I will need a large aperature and a large focal length. I have spent some time looking at different telescopes and reviews. However I am even more confused now than when I started ! :icon_salut: Could you advise me on a telescope for DSO and can be used for astrophotography. I know I will definateley need a strong mount and I consider getting a eq5 with no GOTO as I cannot afford a eq6.

Thanks for any reply, greatly appreciated

Austen

I would, there simple, not much can go wrong with them, collimating is a doddle, get the 200pds though better focuser, dual speed 2", there supposed to be good for imaging as well, but don't take my word for it I'm only a nebula

If you are certain that your main interest will be imaging, rather than only viewing, DSOs, then you will need to start with the mount - which preferably needs to be a minimum of an HEQ5 or EQ6. You CAN image on a smaller lighter mount, but it will make your life much harder. So, if you have to cut corners, then for now, cut them on the scope, rather than the mount.

Before spending anything, your first purchase should be a copy of Steve Richards' (Steppenwolf on this forum) "Making Every Photon Count". It will get you off on the right lines, and could save a fortune, not to mention months of frustration.

Best of luck with your venture into The Dark Side (imaging!) :icon_salut::D:D

Im only just out of vacuum training but if you ever get into imaging the eq5 wont do the job so go dob. 250 dob is cheaper and bigger

Andy

FOr imaging a EQ mount is needed. I have the 200p Dob and great for visual but no good for imaging.

A Dob even with motors etc will cause the image to rotate (field rotation) as it acts like an Alt/Az mount. The EQ 5 will definitely do the job as will the EQ3/2 but as previously stated the better the mount the easier Astrophotography will be.

Cheers

What's your approx budget Austen? Imaging starts with the mount - best to get the most substantial one you can afford - especially with the 200P. An EQ5 will just about cope for visual only, but I'd recommend an HEQ5 for that ota and imaging.

Alternatively a short tube, wide field appo would make a good imaging scope - but not so satisfatory for observing. You may eventually end up with two scopes (as mentioned above) but make sure the mount is up to imaging. You'll need one with tracking at least. :icon_salut:

FOr imaging a EQ mount is needed. I have the 200p Dob and great for visual but no good for imaging.

A Dob even with motors etc will cause the image to rotate (field rotation) as it acts like an Alt/Az mount. The EQ 5 will definitely do the job as will the EQ3/2 but as previously stated the better the mount the easier Astrophotography will be.

Cheers

I didnt mean image with dob, just meant that EQ5 isnt man enough for imaging. Sorry for the confusion

Andy

I didnt mean image with dob, just meant that EQ5 isnt man enough for imaging. Sorry for the confusion

Andy

No worries Andy, Although depends what you put on said mount. Until recently all my pics were taken on an EQ3/2! :icon_salut:

Cheers

Jamie

No worries Andy, Although depends what you put on said mount. Until recently all my pics were taken on an EQ3/2! :icon_salut:

Cheers

Jamie

So maybe a skywatcher 150p on an heq5 or a skywatcher 200p on an eq5? The photos on JKB's website are very good. However a 200p weighs a fair amount, 8.75 kg I think.

Thanks

If you buy second hand you should be able to get a CG5GT Goto for around £300 to £350 depending on age and condition. It has better gearing and software than the EQ5 Goto. And it's a tad more solid on the ground having 2" diameter steel legs.

The £250 - £300 that's left should get you s/h 200P (maybe even a DS) again depending on age and cond. But you'll get a minimum spec imaging setup that will serve you well till you can save some pennies to upgrade the mount.

Hope that helps :icon_salut:

Dobs look like a pain to me, don't have an equatorial mount, unless the object's overhead you won't be able to follow it

my 12 " dob is fine can track any thing you can albeit with my hands, i have to angle finders that give me both angles so i can find most things with the angles of stellarium

If you buy second hand you should be able to get a CG5GT Goto for around £300 to £350 depending on age and condition. It has better gearing and software than the EQ5 Goto. And it's a tad more solid on the ground having 2" diameter steel legs.

The £250 - £300 that's left should get you s/h 200P (maybe even a DS) again depending on age and cond. But you'll get a minimum spec imaging setup that will serve you well till you can save some pennies to upgrade the mount.

Hope that helps :icon_salut:

Thank you very much, I shall keep my eyes peeled for 2nd mounts/telescopes

Hey Austen,

£600 pounds is a decent sized butget. Have you thought about second hand gear?

Your budget could easly stretch for a second hand HEQ5 and 8 inch newt.

I've recently picked up a second hand standard HEQ5 (non go-to) for around £300. Which im hoping will at least give me a decent place to start in astrophotography.

Have a look on the buy/sell section here when you have enough posts. Also Google Astro buy/sell. Its amazing for second hand stuff. Ive only had good experiences from there.

cheers

Drew

Archived