Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron 76mm FirstScope

Hi all, I'm new to the forum (and astronomy). Yesterday I received my first scope, the Celestron 76mm FirstScope :D.

Fortunately, there were clear skies and I managed to see Jupiter. I was definitely expecting more than what I saw. I saw just a tiny ball of light, a little bigger than how it looked with the naked eye. I also managed to see all of its moons as tiny specks.

I have now ordered a 2x Barlow Lens, and the accessory kit for my scope which comes with 2 more EPs. Just wondering if anyone knows what to expect when I have all my new equipment set up?

Thanks

Hady

Hi and welcome to SGL

Depending on eyepiece, seeing, and other limiting factors you should be able to see Jupiter resolved as a disc, the four main moons, cloud belts, possibly the great red spot. With Saturn you should see moons, the rings plus Cassini Division. You will see galaxies resolved as pale grey discs or ovals, double stars will be distinct points of light with possible colour differences.

Unfortunately you won't see Hubble quality images with the scope but it will be a great way to learn astronomy and the technical aspects of the hobby.

Well the eyepiece I've been using is an SR 4mm, and the ones that come in the kit are a 12.5mm and a 6mm. (Plus the Barlow I'm getting). So what EP would be required to see those details you mentioned in your last post?

my son has the skywatcher version of that scope. Dont expect too much from it cos it is very small but the stock e/ps really let it down. I put a decent e/p in mine and got ok views of the moon and brightest DSOs. I'd be surprised if you could see the GRS or cassini (which can be challenging in much bigger scopes) and if your skies are dark you will see some lovely clusters and a few galaxies too. If you get into the hobby, y0u will want something a bit bigger I expect.:D

Well the eyepiece I've been using is an SR 4mm, and the ones that come in the kit are a 12.5mm and a 6mm. (Plus the Barlow I'm getting). So what EP would be required to see those details you mentioned in your last post?

Hi

The 6mm and the barlowed 12.5mm would give almost identical results (12.5 divided by 2 OR 12.5 multiplied by 0.5 if you prefer). An ideal range of EPs would be one of each high, medium and low power so 6-10mm, 14-18mm and 25-32mm respectively to give the full range of viewing options. The way to calculate magnification is to divide the focal length of your scope by the aperture of the eyepiece used (eg, 600mm divided by 10mm gives a mag of 60x). Planetary detail would come through at this and higher mags while the lower mags (50x or lower) give wide field views which are more suited to deep sky objects. The only accessories needed would be the 2x Barlow and a moon filter.

HTH!

It will be a good scope for starting to recognize star patterns (asterisms) and some objects, like the Pleaiades cluster or even the Andromeda Galaxy.

The moon will be nice to see with this scope too.

You probably need some star charts, go online and download Skycharts (free) or buy the Pocket Star atlas.

And yes, aperture fever will surely appear any time soon! And xmas is near....

Haha. I've spent a long time looking at laptops because that's what I was originally getting, but I am really reconsidering. Just don't wanna mess my mum around, lol. So is there no way I could get any detail of jupiter or saturn etc. from my current scope? E.g. is there some EP I can buy to increase the detail, or is it all down to getting a better scope?

The 76mm firstscope should show you Jupiter as a small disk with a couple of cloud belts across it in the equatorial region. Plus the 4 moons, when one or other of them is not behind the planet.

It will show that Saturn (again small) has rings and it's brightest moon, Titan but won't show any planetary detail or ring structure like the Cassini Division.

Thats about the same views that my old 60mm refractor delivered but that was enough to get me hooked on the hobby :D

Even the best eyepieces can only magnify the light that the main lens or mirror of the scope gathers and the above apertures are on the smaller so the views will be limited.

Ok, thanks. Should get my barlow and new eyepieces tomorrow and I'll have another look at jupiter. I'm pretty sure I saw a galaxy before because I made a white smudge next to a bright star, then on my skymap i found a bright star which had a galaxy next to it :D

Anyway, if I keep enjoying the hobby as much as I am, I think I'll be getting a better scope at xmas. So I could use some recommendations if anyone has any, even just a website to give me an idea. My budget is around £350.

Anyway, if I keep enjoying the hobby as much as I am, I think I'll be getting a better scope at xmas. So I could use some recommendations if anyone has any, even just a website to give me an idea. My budget is around £350.

I'd start a new thread on the topic of best scopes for £350 if I were you. You will get loads of suggestions then :D

Hi fella, I am much in the same position as yourself, wanting to see a lot more than my scope allows :D

I have a 114mm celestron and I can see jupiters moons and a couple of cloud belts but not really in any sort of fine detail. As was mentioned above though, that was all that was really necessary to get me hooked and now I also am looking for an upgraded scope - strangely enough with pretty much the same budget as yourself!

My scope has a real weakness in its mount more than anything, I don't know if its the design is poor/cheap or if I just have a bad one - I have tried and tried but I cannot get it to lock solidly and when I look through it the slightest bit of wind causes it to move :icon_salut:

But as I said it has done a great job in introducing me to the hobby to the point where I am sure I would like to go further.

I am looking into getting a Skywatcher 200p but it seems they get snapped up pretty quickly second-hand and at £450 new they are over my current budget :) perhaps a 150 SW model would be more within budget and at 6" of aperture would provide a good upgrade to what you have currently

Clear skies!

Archived