NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Observing from Palomar Mountain

m_j_lyons

I happened to be in the San Diego, CA, area for work this week and the death by powerpoint ended early yesterday so I grabbed my gear and headed to Palomar Mountain - home of the famous Palomar Observatory. After a winding slow climb from sea level up to nearly 1670m I arrived at the observatory gates - I hoped to setup in their parking lot - if the views were good enough for this monster scope then they'd be good enough for my little scope. No luck - gates are locked tight at 4:30pm...so I found a spot by the side of the road that had OK sight lines in all directions but south. The temps dropped to 12C with the sun and the stars came out splendidly. Light polution from the San Diego area gave the sky about a 4 on the Bortle scale...maybe a 3.5 looking away from the LP. My goal was to clean up some of the Messiers I haven't logged yet for this time of year. I didn't want to stay out too late as the drive down the mountain and the 90 minute drive to my hotel loomed.

Old / New / Missed

With the sun just barely down I grabbed a quick view of Venus as it was setting over the mountain...I forgot my other eyepieces so it was unimpressive (but BRIGHT).

With the sun down but the sky glow dying away I started off in Cygnus for a view of M29. I've logged this one before but tonight's viewing was the best yet. Very distinct box + handle (or flap) pattern.

Next down to M39 which I've just never had the right conditions to see previously. Anchored on a mag 5 star nearby that was naked eye and the messier was only a few degrees away - clearly standing out from the background in the darkening sky. I'd describe the cluster as almost an open arrowhead shape pointing away from Cygnus.

Next I decided to test my mettle and go for the Cocoon Nebula because of the dark nebulae leading up to it. Using pi1 CYG and pi2 CYG as my guide stars I jumped into it. The dark veins were pretty easily found and they led to what appeared to be a cluster...but no bright nebulosity was present in my eyepiece...granted I don't have a filter for it either. I bounded my searching with 3 7.4-7.6 stars on the far side...so I know I was in the right spot.

In my searching for the Cocoon i stumbled upon NGC 7209...which stood out (and seemingly apart) from the surrounding stars. Not overly bright but a cluster none the less.

Next I just drifted down towards Lacerta and passed what must have been NGC 7243 which showed a clear open cluster but barely stood out from the background. Had to stop for a moment to determine if I was making it up ... but there is and OC there so I guess that's what I saw.

Next down to Messier 52 and guided in on naked eye 4 CAS - the cluster was just a bit away and was pretty easy to pick out. Nice round cluster of stars...not overly bright but there none-the-less. Bounded by a bunch of mag 6-7 stars.

Jupiter had risen above the trees so I decided to give it a quick look...four distinct moons but needed higher magnification to pick out any detail on the king of the planets. This killed my night vision.

From there I decided to pay a visit to naked eye Andromeda - M31/M110/M32 were all there in the scope very easily. Andromeda under dark skies is such a treat.

From there I moved over to Triangulum and hopped up to M33 - my first first time being able to see this one. It was so dim and diffuse...no wonder I've never seen it (or a hint of it) from my backyard. Didn't need averted vision ... but it was just barely there. But the size impressed me.

Quick stop in NGC 752 - a nice open cluster.

Then over to hunt Messier 74. This one was going to be more difficult with my scope at mag 9.x. Started off at n PSC and bounded the search with 101 and 105 PSC. After letting my eyes adjust to the light coming from the scope I could just make out the very faint fuzzy of the galaxy. Clearly but faintly there.

I was pretty cold by now and gave a quick view of M13 and called it a night. The cluster looked impressive as always. I was really trying to determine where the comet was there...but was just shooting in the dark.

Not a bad night for 2 hours while on business.

Archived