Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How many nights do you get to stargaze?

Disco

I think also when you manage to get one long session in, you can see so much, that in a way it can make it seem a bit pointless on nights when you might get a gap here or there.

It's almost guaranteed that if you stay up late on a fairly fruitless night, the next night will be clear!! :D

Still, setting up your scope must take a while (never had one, still on bins), so I suppose you need not just clear skies but a decent enough length of time out to make it worthwhile?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

6 times out for more than a half-hour since January :D

I'm working night from Thu-Sun, and I have 5 days of college a week so I have little spare time. I was outside last night though, it was good, sharing the views with the housemate and his not-girlfriend (don't ask), for about an hour doing a whistlestop tour.

It seems to me that I've got a lot less evenings that have properly clear skies than 20 years ago when I seemed to be out 10 times a month, whereas now there seems to be more high cloud when the sky is otherwise clear.

Yeah, France or the right places in Australia may be better bets for stargazing-friendly weather!

This has been one of the longest stretches of TERRIBLE weather that I can ever remember. Rain for days, followed by one or two mostly cloudy days. We have had a couple of days when it has been perfectly clear during the day, only to cloud up as the sun set.

Probably have had no more than a short handful of clear nights since early Spring. Dreadful !

Jim S.

Archived