Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

9mm or 14mm that is the question ?

glowjet

My friend is incoming from the States next month and I have the chance of buying an Explore Scientific 100 deg EP, these have been on the market for some little time now and reviews have shown these eye pieces to be a match with the Ethos, they are on discount at the moment with $100 off, which makes the 14mm @ $290 and the 9mm @ $245, the dilemma is which to have, I have an ED 4" fl 900 refrac Moonlited on a Losmandy GM8, what would you choose ?, I know some will say buy both but funds will not allow, I have a leaning towards the 14mm at present :D

John.

A 14 mm would give you about 64x and 1.55 true field, making it a pretty good medium power wide field eyepiece. I'd probably go for that, given the choice. But that's just my personal preference, I find ultra wide fields more useful at medium and low power..

Thanks for the input, I have almost a full set of Baader hyperion and orthoscopic eps but having looked through a 13mm Ethos some time back I have had a yearning for that impressive wide field view, now the opportunity has arisen to buy one, I am inclined towards the 14mm which gives 1.5 deg FOV as a general use medium power wide field unit. If anyone is interested have a look at the Astronomics/Christophers, LTD, Norman, Oklahoma, web site, you can read about the development and spec of the eps, they have been on the market for some time now, the full range are subject to a $100 discount till the New Year, Explore Scientific make high quality products, but like others, stand in the shadow of their rivals Televue, but not where cost is concerned :D

John.

There's no doubt at $290 (£180ish) the 14mm is astounding value for money. TelescopeHouse have it listed at £386 so the discount must only apply in the States. The 20mm at $399 (£250ish) would be very tempting to me if it wasn't so close to Christmas. Even with possible customs duty they would still undercut the equivalent Ethos by a massive margin.

Archived