Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Video Format & Codecs for DFK 21AU618.AS

Hi,

Please can anyone recommend the best video format/codec combination for use with the DFK 21AU618.AS in IC Capture?

Y800 & BY8 enable 60fps, so I think I would probably select one of these. Would I then use an uncompressed codec i.e. Y800?

I would like to use Registax for stacking, etc. However, is there any benefit to shooting with debayering disabled i.e. higher frame rate and if so, how would I de-mosaic the AVI and with what?

Many thanks.

That is an easy one!

At the top right of the main window, check the 'Show Prefilter' box.

This will pop up a new dialogue called 'Active Filters'

Check the 'Debayer Method' box of the bottom of that dialogue.

For my camera I select the 'GB' method, yours may be different.

Cheers,

Chris

Having just purchased the colour cam (with RAW capability) I'm embarking on yet another steep learning curve, hence the need for the help of those who have gone before me in the black art of codecs and formats. From the replies already, I feel I am on my way, so thank you all so far.

What is the advantage of capturing with debayering off and is that the same as calling it RAW format? Is it speed i.e. there is no interpolation to do?

What is the advantage of capturing with debayering off and is that the same as calling it RAW format? Is it speed i.e. there is no interpolation to do?

The only advantage of capturing with debayering off if you can capture at more than 30 FPS. Obviously you do need a nice bright target to capture at 60 FPS, but I use the same capture settings regardless of the frame rate I am capturing at to keep things simple.

I would call video captured without debayering and uncompressed (instead of using a codec), RAW format. I am not sure what others would consider as RAW format though.

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Graham,

Wikipedia explains it better than I - A codec (coder/decoder) encodes a data stream or signal for transmission, storage or encryption, or decodes it for playback or editing.

Note that we were talking about video codecs as the result of the capture is a video file not a simple image file.

Video codec - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks Jeffrey. I'll take a closer look, but looks like good info. Stefan at Imaging Source emailed me this information -

"If you use BY8 video format, then the raw data is colored and will be transformed into gray scale if it is saved with Y800 codec. However, if Debayering is disabled in IC Capture, then you will see b/w raw data.

I recommend to use Y800 video format."

I will be using Y800 format and Y800 codec and then de-bayering in Registax........ when I fix my broken mount :-(

Archived