Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter Observer's Guide

Many of us are overwhelmed by detail (and awesomeness!) when we start observing with our first 'real' telescope. Often, a way to organize what we see helps to make some sense of it all.

Jupiter is now near opposition, and up all night - making it an excellent and alluring target for observers. It is simple as pie to locate in the night sky, even in a city, or when the moon is full! The observer's guide activity attached will help you get to know our largest planet - and identify its moons. :(

The best way to record the moons it to use Jupiter itself as a yardstick - measuring the moon's distance in 'Jupiter diameters'. Pay attention to their position - either above or below Jupiter's equator. Once you record them, check your work with Stellarium. Boot Stellarium and set the time to be the same as your observation - then stop the clock using the bottom of screen menu. Once you locate Jupiter and click on it - press the space bar, this will keep Jupiter centered on the screen. Now use your mouse wheel to zoom in until you can see Jupiter and its moons in detail. Remember that your view of the moons will be reveresed if you are using a Dobsonian (or other Newtonian telescope).

Once you've got the hang of it, try using Stellarium to plan your observing sessions of Jupiter. By setting the time ahead to your next observing session, you can advance the time and see the stately dance of the moons around Jupiter. You can see when the red spot is visible as it moves across the planet's disk in a single evening. Can you catch a moon as it emerges from behind Jupiter or see it's last glimmer as it slips behind? Can you spot the shadow of Io or Europa as it crosses in front of the planet? (Imagine eclipse watching from half a billion miles away!) Occultations of the moons are rarer - one moon sometimes passes directly in front of the other. Stellarium can help you catch these events, too.

I always find it fascinating to observe these things because it shows me (and my students) that these bodies are actually moving in space - performing the elliptical dance just as Johannes Kepler first described it some 400 years ago. Astronomy deals with such vast distances that significant movement may take years, even more than a human lifetime to be noticeable. Jupiter and its moons offer us a chance to see the dance of the planets in a single evening! :)

For scout leaders, teachers and outreach folks, this activity makes for a particularly satisfying evening!

Have fun, and post a comment or two to let me know how you are doing.

Dan

Lab #13 - First Look at Jupiter.doc

Very glad you folks are finding it helpful and that you are interested in having a go at my little activity!

Someone in a PM asked about "clock method" mentioned in the original post. The two activities attached here will explain this simple drawing method and give you some practice. Students young and old in my astronomy classes have found this method very helpful - I've been using it to teach sketching at the EP for years.

Give it a go and see how you like it! :)

Dan

Lab Skills - Sketching with the Clock Method.doc

Lab #8 - Sketching Luna at the EP.doc

Archived