NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

10" Dob + DSLR field of view

Rahul Zota

Hi all,

I am thinking to buy the adapter to fix my DSLR camera on a focuser of my 10" Dobsonian telescope. The question is what field of view (FOV) would I get? My purpose is wide-field photography. The camera I am using is Canon EOS 550D and the focal length of my telescope is 1200mm.

The field of view is inversely proportional to the focal length. 50mm to 400mm might be regarded as wide field, but 1200mm would give a very small field.

To calculate the actual field, multiply the width of the camera sensor by 57.3 and divide by the focal length. Working roughly in my head, i would say that would give you a field of approx one degree with a regular DSLR.

You would be much better suited for wide-field photography by just employing the regular lens that came with your camera, and allowing the camera to "ride" on a "piggyback adapter" mounted to your normal OTA. A telephoto up to around 200mm will allow you to narrow in on a constellation, and some very nice photos of the Milky Way etc. have been taken with lenses with as short a FL as 18 mm !

If you don't have a motorized mount to put your camera on, you might want to investigate a device called "the barn-door tracker". These can be constructed with normal materials such as threaded rod, piano hinges, some pieces of wood, etc. The only specialized items you will need include a "ball socket" for holding the camera and lens. You can find many ideas on the web.

Good luck!

Jim S.

Thanks Jim,

I was planning for bar dor tracking but it requires some mathematical skills and high accuracy. I know one guy in India who has build such tracking mount and I am going to take some help from him. Also my future plans are to buy a Sky-Watcher 102mm short-tube refractor with HEQ5 or EQ6 mounts. I think this will be helpful for DSLR comet hunting!

Archived