Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

2" eyepiece or focal reducer for 5" SCT

Per167

Hi,

I've found some different opinions on this so I might as well see if someone here has an opinion. What would be the preferred way to get a wider field of view in a 5" SCT (e.g. Celestron OMNI XLT 127): a 2" diagonal with a 32mm+ eyepiece or a focal reducer with the standard 1.25" eyepieces?

Regards,

Per

Oops! Clicked on wrong thread. Will someone please transfer the above binoviewer post to the thread below this one?

Post moved as requested :)

On the topic of this thread, with the small rear port aperture of the 5" SCT I'm not sure a 2" eyepiece is worth bothering with - the field stop of the eyepiece will be larger than the port on the back of the SCT.

The Celestron F/6.3 focal reducers work quite well although that means more glass in the optical path.

With the small rear port aperture of the 5" SCT I'm not sure a 2" eyepiece is worth bothering with - the field stop of the eyepiece will be larger than the port on the back of the SCT.

That's what I would imagine as well. The reason I am asking is that two serious dealers have suggested a 2" eyepiece to go with this scope but maybe they have not tried it out themselves.

Archived