Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

18th October 2011

m.tweedy

Set up last night in quite a stiff breeze in the garden with the C11. Having just received the Sky at Night Mag for November decided to give the chasing Clusters a try before Kielder. (I love clusters me-especially Globular s)

Using the Ethos 21mm started at 8.00 p.m. It is the first "proper" go with this eyepiece-WOW stars beautiful, eye relief perfect for me and despite not so good seeing and the breeze pinpoint stars on a BEAUTIFUL background.

M56 stars resolved nicely. then onto the coathanger that I have observed lots of times with binoculars. Could see individual stars but definately a binocular object.

M71 again stars resolved to the core. Even better with the Ethos 17 mm.

M15 the best I have ever seen in the 21 and again even better in the 17.

M15 one of my favourites made even better with the 21 Ethos.

I now decided to just use the 21 for the rest of the night.

M39 and 52 again just so many stars.

Over to the owl cluster and the "eyes" were very bright pinpricks that seemed to be looking back at me. A quick detour from the tour to view the ring and the dumbell.both Very visible with good contrast even with no filter.

BREAK FOR COFFEE

NGC663 and M103 next.the red star at the centre of 103 was bright.

Double cluster had to look at them individually-I have never seen so many stars packed into these clusters before.

Alpha Persei cluster-just individual stars-definately a better with binoculars. Same with Caldwell 28.

By then Jupiter was up -Must remember to put in a moon filter next time I view it with an Ethos. Blinding both bands visible in not so good and now windy conditions.

Time now 10.30 and Time for bed zebedee.

For a spur of the moment decision to observe it is probably one of the best I have had this year. Wrong it is THE best I have had this year.

Archived