NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Ice and my camera.

Tommy B

Hello all,

Im getting very excited about imaging this winter what with the longer nights but there is one thing that concerns me. This will be the first time Ive done any serious imaging in sub zero temperatures and Im worried that my camera (Canon 1000D) may be damaged by ice. Is this something I need to protect myself against and if so are there any tried and tested methods for insulating a camera?

I have used my 1000D camera down to -15C.. it lived on the back of the scopes in the obs all the time...

Battery life is badly effected by the cold so i used an external power supply.. the camera also liked a little bit more voltage when the temperature dropped well below zero...

On the plus side Noise levels will be a lot lower...

Peter...

I use the 550D in down to -20c.

I have however learned one thing, very important too, but easily forgotten in a hurry... On a reflector, where it's open into teh camera house, always mount the camera on the scope so that the display is upwards, otherwise dirt, dust, and potencially water will come into the camera house.

be awere, like mentioned already, batteries get used up fast, and the AC power for my camera didn't power the camera strong enough to operate it witghout problems in -20... Push live view button a coupple of times, and shutter box jams due to too little power from the AC.

Thats great, thanks alot for the info and advice all. I dont think my canon 1000D can run from an external power supply (correct me if I am wrong) but I do have 3 batteries for it so hopefully that will be ok.

Yes it can .. they use a dummy battery ... there's the "official" Canon product (ACK-E5) and cheaper clones or ones that are designed to run of 12V batteries...

I make my own but I would have a look at the Pro versions made by Astronomiser...

Astronomiser - Automated Astronomy and AstroImaging Solutions

These have the Heat generating Voltage regulator components mounted outsie the camera which helps reduce noise...

Peter...

Yes it can .. they use a dummy battery ... there's the "official" Canon product (ACK-E5) and cheaper clones or ones that are designed to run of 12V batteries...

I make my own but I would have a look at the Pro versions made by Astronomiser...

Astronomiser - Automated Astronomy and AstroImaging Solutions

These have the Heat generating Voltage regulator components mounted outsie the camera which helps reduce noise...

Peter...

Excellent! Many thanks for the link.

Oooh, and one miore very important thing, that i just noticed noone have mentioned allready...

Taking the camera out is no issue, but when you take it in, ALWAYS put it in a sealed plastic bag first, and leave it for 1-2 hours depending on how cold it is before you open it and turn it on, otherwise you will get comdensation on the inside of the camera, wich might damare the camera.

I repete, do NOT open teh bag before the camera is at room temp. It's normal the plastig bag gets wet, but the camerra won't if you leave it sealed untill room temp.

IF you shuold forget this and bring it stright in to the heat, quickly remove the battery and memory card, and leave the camera to dry completly outside as well as inside (i recommend to wait at least 1 day if it gets very wet when you bring it inside)

Edit: for this reason, i always recommend to take out the memory card before you go inside for the night, then you don't have to wait for teh camera to slowly heat up before you can watch/start working on the pics. :)

This is just to be on the safest side though, the camera can handle more then you think, but IF it shuold break because you wasn't carefull, it would kind of suck, so better safe then sorry... :)

Archived