Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Camera advice...

Torazz

I've got approx £500 to spend on upgrading from my Canon 300D. It has served me well for my first 2 yrs in imaging but due to lack of support in windows 7 i am looking to upgrade. My imaging is mainly DSO's.

What do you guys with more experience than me; think my money would be best spent on or maybe saved towards??

Thks in advance :D

There are a few questions that would help answer this further.

1) Are you happy with your cameras current chip size in relation to your scope?

2) Do you want a OSC or mono camera?

3) Does this £500 include selling your current camera?

If you are happy to stick with a DSLR then for £500 you will be able to get a modified one. This will be better than a stock, unmodified camera. If you are happy with your chip size and fancy a CCD then a QHY8 OSC CCD would be good to save for. If you want a mono camera, then you need to save a while longer!

Perhaps you want a smaller chip size on your new purchase - Don't know what scope you are using it with,

Scope is a CPC 800 and images are ok just want to maybe get a better camera.

the £500 doesnt include selling my present one?

what i basically want to know is for £500+ is there a significant jump i can make, or should i just install XP on my laptop...lol

:)

Have a look here - you might see something you fancy. Check around the site there's a full "astro" description of DSLR's and the mods they do. You'll soon know what would represent a significant upgrade. I've had stuff from here and can totally recommend them.

Astronomiser - Automated Astronomy and AstroImaging Solutions

Alternatively you could go for a "cheap" ccd solution with your budget but bear in mind you may wind up spending tons of dosh on filters to go with - other than that I know little about ccd's. Good luck :)

Hi

You have a bit of a difficult choice there. As said above you have a limited budget, but a 'scope that needs a big FOV, but a more sensitive CCD because it is slow. The other issue is that unless you go for a colour ccd, you will ned to factor in filters, filter wheel and it all adds up. My suggestion would be maybe save up for a ccd, and take some time and look at the pros and cons of each type. If you really want to upgrade now then I would choose a modified DSLR, because I just don't think you will get the benefit from going to a ccd right now on your budget with your scope.

Ian

well i'm using my 800 with a f/6.3 reducer and after doing some reading i think i'll stretch to £700 and get a modded 550D.

Good choice?

edit** now i've read somewhere that 550D is best avoided due to small pixel size.

jeez.....i'm more confused than ever...lol

If I was honesty looking at your budget, I wouldn't go from a DSLR to a modded DSLR with that money. I would get a OSC CCD (QHY8 specifically) they aren't much more than you are planning on spending. You will get better noise control with the CCD than the DSLR.

I think it's the best value OSC CCD with the sensor size you'll get. If you google the QHY8 you'll see that there was quite a few problems with it at the start, but now there's many happy folks and great images being produced with it. Initial problems all seemed to be ironed out now.

If you speak with Bern at Modern Astronomy, he'll help you out with your choice, he's a top bloke.

I would agree with Sara,

The QHY8l will be a fine next camera and you can see how you go from there.

You may get suggestions for mono ccds but you will be talking extra cost on filters and filter wheels. Really, if you went mono then a 285 chip ccd at 800 second hand then 200 for filters and 200 for a usb filter wheel.

It seems to me the qhy8l would becthe easier option, you have quite a long focal length scope as well? Cant see the rest of the thread whilst typing and cant remember ;-)

Archived