NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Meade LX90 vs Celestron Nexstar 8SE

After some time researching for my first telescope set up, the following appear to be a good balance of price/performance/storage space/portability for a 2nd hand set- I am also looking for goto or equivalent:

Meade LX90

Celestron Nexstar 8SE

What is the views of these?

Should I be thinking of anything else?

Cheers

I have an 8SE. One advantage is that the OTA is detachable from the mount. The goto assembly detaches from the tripod, so it breaks down into three parts for transportation. Also, if you ever want to try astrophotography without field rotation you can buy a separate equatorial mount and use the OTA on it.

I only used it a few times as an '8SE'. Most of the time the OTA sits on my EQ6 mount for photography. My original thought was that the 8SE would be my 'grab and go' scope, but I rarely do that now. I spend more time on photography. However, it was very quick and easy to set up, and I was very impressed with the solidity and goto accuracy. If you do get one I would recommend a set of 'Bobs Knobs' down the line to make collimation adjustment some much easier. Having said that, I don't often need to adjust it. Also a wrap around dew shield (and maybe a dew heater strap and heater controller, but you might get away with just the shield. You can also get away with a wrapped around camping mat for a dew shield).

I got mine from OpticStar in Manchester since it was local, and was very impressed with their knowledge and service.

• 3 months later...

Hi navydave

Got the 8 SE as my first scope a few days ago. Liking it so far :D.

Interested to see BlueAstra say you can fit the OTA to an EQ type mount? Does the EQ 6 have a dovetail slot or would I need to get some other means of fixing the tube to the mount?

Snowing here in Sheffield, so guess the scope will have to stay inside tonight!

Archived