Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anyone using DSLR with Filter Wheel and/or OAG?

Sp@ce_d

Having just modded my 1000D I'm now wondering if it's worth trying different filters ie Ha etc.. as an intermediate step before splashing out on a CCD. I've also been thinking of trying out off axis guiding too. However, a discussion here .. http://stargazerslounge.com/discussions-cameras/158880-how-fit-lp-filter-sw-reducer-flattener.html has made me realize everything else in the light train has to be before the reducer/flattener on my 80ED.

Any one else using filter wheel or OAG with a DSLR or tried it? Can it be done.. is it worth it? :D

Ok, so having done a bit more research....

For my setup it seems to maintain correct sensor to reducer spacing of 55mm I have no choice but to put a filter Wheel etc on the scope side of the reducer/flatener. I can't see a problem with doing this apart from the practicalities of finding step up/down adapters. Now it seems there are no off the shelf ones for the 56mm skywatcher thread of my reducer/focustube. I do find this suprising as they must be a fairly popular choice!

I've found a couple of places that may make custom ones but I expect they'll be pricy!

Camera Accessories,Digiscoping,scopes,binoculars

Using a OAG with a DSLR is very straight forward...no major issues/ concerns. The guide camera must obviously be spaced to suit.

The total stack up distances, as you're already finding, v's available backfocus is more of an issue.

Using a OAG with a DSLR is very straight forward...no major issues/ concerns. The guide camera must obviously be spaced to suit.

The total stack up distances, as you're already finding, v's available backfocus is more of an issue.

Yes, somehow I don't think an OAG will fit into my setup. It'll have to go 98mm (+ the thickness of an adapter) from the sensor of the DSLR. Somehow I don't see me getting that and the QHY5 guide cam to focus!

Archived