Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron SkyProdigy

No.

Yes.

Yes.

It's kind of a half way house to the latest Meade mounts with built in guide cameras I suppose.

For true beginners or children it would be a snap to setup and let them have a look at things but the mount will only ever take short tube, small diameter and therefore will always be limited in what it will show.

Personally, I like to observe and image, for me time taken to setup and align is wasted time, if it can be automated then i'm all for it but on a basic mount like this it would be no good to me.

Now, a self setup EQ6, that would be something, and if it could auto guide itself too then even better!

for those with no experience and pennies to shed

for those who cant be bothered to learn the sky, just want a gizmo with a magic button that shows you everything in its data base.

would i buy what is essentially a mak 90 on a GOTO for that price? no.

Isn't the next logical step in scope and mount development one that unpacks itself from wherever it is stored, goes outside, sets itself up (balances the scope, polar aligns) and starts tracking whatever celestial object I think of.

Ha :D ha..;)

While this mount is only suitable for a lightweight OTA, the technology would be transferable to say a CGEM mount in the future. The self-aligning system is more advanced and capable than the system used in the Meade LS scopes so it has potential. Sort of a "Second Generation" system I suppose. A lot of people hate EQ mounts because of the alignment procedure so if you agree with it or not there is definitely a real market for this technology.

I have to admit if Celestron brought out a CGEM mount with self-alignment and built in guiding and at a much lower price than the new Meade mount I'd be very interested.

John

Archived