Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

6SE Daytime tests

My set of Bob's Knobs arrived so after fitting them I did a rough by eye collimation and thought I'd get my D70 setup for a bout of prime focus photography. Not attached the D70 to the C6 yet so was having a play. Thought I'd share my tests here. Note that these are not very good, as collimation is only rough after a fresh install of Bob's Knobs and focus was through the dSLR view finder.

First shot is with my camera lens at 28mm showing the chimney I was aiming at. I've circled it so you can see how far away it is. Not too far and close enough to give a nice image test.

6SED7028mm.jpg

Used the red dot on the scope to align the C6, stuck in the D70 and found focus (took a while!). Didn't use the diagonal wen't straight into the visual back with the 1.25" nose piece.

6SED70noBarlow.jpg

By shear luck there was a flying rat on the chimney! They get everywhere dont they? You can see the trees in the background not focused and moving around in the breeze. Doesn't make for a nice shot as the depth of focus is wrong. But I can't complain. Nice and bright.

Next shot is the same setup but with a cheap barlow lens cell in place at the end of the nose piece. In theory giving a 2x magnification, but dont hold me to that.

6SED70barlow.jpg

I've had to brighten this up a little as I had the exposure wrong. But even with the noise i'm quite impressed. Obviously focus is off but given the subject I think it did ok. With a bit of tweaking the setup should produce some nice astro shots.

With the (heavy) D70 dSLR the single fork arm was not stressed at all and I'm glad I went with the C6 over the C8 really. Can't wait for a clear night to test the setup out!

Nice shots Gordon. I can understand why you went for the C6 over the C8, I would have been worried about stability with the C8 on a single arm as well. Looks like your set up should be nice for some prime focus images - especially of Globs.

Peonic - Don't get in a flap - of course it will :D

Tom

Archived