Barlow advice

Hello, I am about to order my first telescope which is a Skywatcher 130p, I have a Nikon D5100 coming with a T-ring and various lenses (from Amazon).

My question is simply this, what kind are barlow do I need to make this connection complete, and if any what other pieces of equipment will I need (bare in mind I have a mount, tripod for the camera, remote shutter etc.)

Any advice welcome.

Thank you.

You will meed a barlow lens to allow the camera to come into focus. most relflectors don't have enough inwards focuser travel to allow a DSLR to reach focus with prime photography. The barllow lens will move the point of focus further out giving the focuser the required extra distance. Watch this youtube video for a further explanation Connecting a SLR camera

Peter

nope, i been having a think about your suggestions cv , and as its a newt , the problem will be racking the focuser in towards the scope far enough with the camera attatched to achive focus , surley adding extensions or barlows will not work .?

nope, i been having a think about your suggestions cv , and as its a newt , the problem will be racking the focuser in towards the scope far enough with the camera attatched to achive focus , surley adding extensions or barlows will not work .?

A barlow lens will work because this actually shifts the point of focus. An extension tube just adds extra length to the focser but doesn't move the point of focus. What the youtube video to see why a barlow is used.

Peter

I have hooked my 450D up to my Heritage 130P. I found the camera would not focus. I tried the same setup but included a 2X barlow and it worked perfectly.

IIRC.........it is the opposite with my refracs. The cam will not come to focus if i use the barlow, but works fine when i remove the barlow.

Ive just received my 130p (the GoTo version) and it came with a 2x barlow even though it wasnt mentioned in the list of accessories. It also came with a moon filter as well

Well my Sky-watcher 130p arrived today and yes like you said it had a 2x barlow lens with it (this was after I already bought one a few days earlier - the same one!)

Lesson learned I guess. :)

Archived