SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Help please upgrading Nexstar handset firmware

Thruxton

Hi,

I recently bought a new Nexstar handset ver. Gem 4.16 to use with my AS-GT mount. The original handset was too old to be re-flashed. The latest version is 4.19 and I want to install this.

This handset is connected to my laptop's USB port with a USB-serial adapter and a home-made serial-to-RJ11 (?) connector which plugs in the bottom of the handset. I presume all connections are OK because it is in exactly this configuration that I have successfully re-flashed the firmware for both the mount's motors using MCupdate.

However, when using HCupdate ver. 1.1.14 I get nowhere. I can put the handset in programming mode (Transmit Data) by switching on wiith INFO/UNDO pressed, but when I click on 'NEXT' in HCupdate it tells me nothing is on the port COM1 - despite the fact that there was a mount there a few minutes ago!

I have tried several times, always with the same result (or lack of)

Can anybody suggest how I proceed from here?

TIA

Thruxton:icon_scratch:

• 1 month later...

Hi!

I have the same problem! Have you solved it yet?

I'm trying to update my handcontroller/motorcontroller to latest software release HC4.20/MC5.20. I'm using Windows7-64bit with a serialport adapter (ATEN UC-232A usb-serial adapter). I cant get the software update program HCupdate v1.1.14 to transfer data to my hand control.

I have followed the instructions press UNDO+INFO at same time and HC displays transmitt data. But HCUpdate v1.1.14 only responds with the popup screen that says "Hand Control must be set in programming mode".

The serial cable verified to be ok since I have no problems controlling the Telescope with NexRemote/Stellarium v0.11.1/CarteDuCiel+Ascom driver. My current firmware version are HC GEM v4.16/ MC:5.16.

Cannot help but will point you in the direction of the Cloudy Nights forum.

CN has a section dedicated to Celectron scopes and different aspects. Feeling is that with the bigger pool of knowledge someone there may be able to answer your question.

In general the USB-Serial adaptors seem one area of most troubles from posts I have read in the past. The cables and transfer mechanism was initially defined when PC's had a serial port not a usb port.

Hi racking my brain here, but I think you have to change the usb adaptor com port to 1 or 3

I had the same issue and had to go hunting for some info but can't remember where / which site I got this from ?

May be a problem if one of those is already taken.

I had the same issue and changed mine to 3.

It flashed after that.

Worth a try

Neil

I solved it by using and an old computer that had windows xp and an onboard serialport.

So now I have updated to HC 4.20 and MC 5.20. From my testing it seems to track better than before with this new update. I had some serious problems with tracking before the update.

• 9 months later...

For info

Just had similar problem, having spent hours trying to get HCUpdate to install (dodgy registry entries) - had to install everything manually

Anyway having got HCUpdate working eventually I had trouble finding a working com port, trick that worked for me was to open device manager on win 7 and then highlight the root of all the ports and discover new hardware,

new com port appeared - its quite obvious which it is) - restarted HCUpdate and new port magically appeared in drop down list first time and I updated to latest firmware for handset & motor without issues (just used the tools to download the latest drivers)

Just used a diy cable off ebay, I didn't need any drivers other than the stuff that comes with HCUpdate

Archived