NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Bringing the Yuri Gagarin Statue to Manchester

gurbir

Hello,

As most of you will know, a statue of Yuri Gagarin was unveiled in London on 14th July to mark the 50th anniversary of the first human spaceflight and his subsequent visit to London and Manchester.

The statue is a gift to the British Council (BC) from Roscosmos. It was erected outside the BC office in central London, around the corner from Trafalgar square. Planning restrictions limit its time there to twelve months. It has to be removed by 14th July 2012.

I have established an on-line campaign to bring it to Manchester. Anyone who supports the idea can sign the on-line petition here. It takes about 30 seconds to add your name and email address. My target is 1000 and currently I have just 108 :)

Manchester was the only place outside London that Gagarin visited in England. He had trained as a foundry worker prior to joining the Soviet air force and was invited to England by the Manchester based Amalgamated Union of Foundry Workers.

There is a chance that the statue will be stuck in a cellar somewhere in London. This is an ideal opportunity for Manchester to remember and celebrate this unique link with the space age.

You don't have to be a Mancunian or even be based in the UK to support this campaign. More information on the above link.

Gurbir

blogger www.astrotalkuk.org

Author Yuri Gagarin in London and Manchester

My target is 1000 and currently I have just 108 :)
Good luck !
There is a chance that the statue will be stuck in a cellar somewhere in London.
Better that than being a dog called Laika stuck in orbit with no prospect (prospekt)

Twas all machinations of the cold war and should not be elevated.

For those interested,

is a video celebrating the uncovering of the statue in July 2011. This is not the original by the way (that is still in Russia) this is in fact a copy, secured from two moulds of the original which were made in September 2010 by ROSCOSMOS (Russian Space Agency) to celebrate the warm welcome that Britain gave Gargarin 50 years ago. In fact the visit was extended by a further two days which included lunch with the queen.

James

Archived