Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Making a Dew Shield.

So, i now know i need a dew shield for my skymax 102 mak. It seems pretty straghtforward to me; Camping Mat, Velcro, Cut stick, done. is it really that simple? Two questions spring to mind.

1. Anyone know any suppliers of black camping mats?

2. is there a calculation for Maximum/Minimum/Optimal dew shield length.?

Please feel free to point me to any threads i may of missed.

Thanks in Advance.

for that scope you could use the sheets of 2mm black foam from hobbycraft. the advantage of this is it is sewable and very light too (and also black!).

generally the recommended length is 2x the aperture for Maks but I use Newts and as long as you cannot see past the top of the dew guard (it's more of a light shield in a newt) then that's fine. so for about £1.50 you'd need one sheet for your scope. at that aperture, Juan Sheet does plenty.

Just to build on Shane's Blue Peter episode :) I bought the adhesive backed foam sheets from Hobbycraft and doubled up the foam by sticking together the outer sheet(s) to the inner sheet(s) in such a way that their adhesive side stuck together. By using two layers, I was able to stagger any join and found this helped make a stiff, uniformed circular tube that was still very light.

Now where's Petra and Peter Purvis!

James

Archived