NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

QHY8L or Celestron Nightscape ??

olawelin

Hello, im pretty new to astrophotagraphy, have taken a few pics with my DSLR and want to get a CCD, so my question is what camera will suit me best? This is what I want to do:

With my C11 edge HD I would like to take pictures of smaller things like M51, M81, M27 and so on, when I get the money for it i might get a hyperstar for it and do some wider things at F2.

But for now I will do the wider stuff with my Skywatcher evostar 80ED pro.

I also have a C10-NGT 10" newton that I want to take some pictures with.

So out of these 2 cameras, which one would suit me best? I know it will be some kind of compromise at some point.

The price on the cameras will be identical for me because I can get the Celestron from the US.

Nightscape has quite poor sensor (low on QE, limited cooling) and it isn't on the market yet. QHY8L has bigger pixels, bigger sensor and it's quite proven.

C11 at f/10 needs very big pixels to get good resolution. Both QHY8L or Nightscape expecially without binning would give much to high resolution, and binning color cameras is not the best thing.

So you can get QHY8L and use only ED/APO or a Newtonian. SCT + Hyperstar is expensive and not always "needed".

• 2 months later...

Nice, have you been talking to Bern at Modern regarding Hyperstar. I was on the blower with him earlier today discussing collimation of my F2.8 Newt and he mentioned someone with a HyperStar :)

Would love to see what images you get out of the QHY8 and HyperStar system.

OK well I would buy neither, I'd go for an Atik. Lots of posts seem to be about things amiss with QHYs. Shoot me down by all means but one or two are live at the moment.

Hyperstar? Maybe. The thing is that super fast F ratios mean super accurate ...everything. I like the idea of the superfast system but I'm nearly sixty and have given up on the theory of the free lunch. Superfast Takahashis and ASAs and AOGs are very expensive. Nice pictures, though...

Olly

OK well I would buy neither, I'd go for an Atik. Lots of posts seem to be about things amiss with QHYs. Shoot me down by all means but one or two are live at the moment.

Hyperstar? Maybe. The thing is that super fast F ratios mean super accurate ...everything. I like the idea of the superfast system but I'm nearly sixty and have given up on the theory of the free lunch. Superfast Takahashis and ASAs and AOGs are very expensive. Nice pictures, though...

Olly

You old fool :) get with the modern world lol :(

But you are right, they are a pain in the butt to get right, but hopefully worth it.

Archived